Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 90 of 116 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 115 116
S
S
I've switched to QMC2 from EasyMAME as a GUI front-end to MAME, and am mostly happy with its capabilities. However, I can't seem to figure out how to activate the 2X automatic scaling. I can drag the corner of the game screen and resize it manually each time I start it, but it would be nice to have it scaled up 2X automatically. (The default size is way too small.)

Is this possible? Thanks.

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
In which way is this QMC2 related? Anyway, I think what you mean is the emulator option "prescale" (set to 2), or disable "window" (= full screen) and/or enable "maximize".

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]
S
S
Originally Posted By qmc2
In which way is this QMC2 related?

It's completely QMC2 related, as that's how I run MAME, and I'm unable to figure out how to configure QMC2 to run MAME like I want.

Originally Posted By qmc2

Anyway, I think what you mean is the emulator option "prescale" (set to 2), or disable "window" (= full screen) and/or enable "maximize".

The prescale option doesn't work - I set it to 2 with no effect. The game is not scaled. I figured i wasn't using it right, but if that's how you do it, I guess I need to file a bug report. Note that, if MAME64.exe is run from the command-line, the prescale option also doesn't work, but the screen is always scaled by 2X - it's twice the size as when the app is started through QMC2.

I've got the windowed option checked, and the maximized option unchecked under Emulator Tab/Video/window, as I want the game windowed and not maximized, and these options seem to work fine.

MAME 0.165, QMC 0.55 (SVN r6891)
Window 7 SP1 x64

Last edited by ScoobyDew; 09/20/15 09:03 AM.
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
-maximize is *exactly* the "2X" option you are looking for. Really.

S
S
OK Thanks.

It looks like the MAME project uses a confusing, non-standard definition of maximize and minimize. For every other app in the world, maximize means that the window containing the app is sized so that the window fills the screen, in at least one dimension if not both, and minimized means that the app is stuck on the task bar and the window contents aren't visible at all.

Apparently, the MAME developers for some reason use these terms to refer to unscaled an 2X scaled windows.

The prescale option still doesn't work, but I guess that needs to be filed against the MAME project and not QMC2.

Last edited by ScoobyDew; 09/20/15 09:41 AM.
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
1x and 2x windows are useful for the developers, given we normally have a debugger window or 5 open. Full-screen ones aren't, but can be easily accessed via your window manager's normal widgets.

The "prescale" option has absolutely nothing to do with the window size and should normally be set to 1 unless you like unnecessarily making your CPU slower; hopefully QMC2 (the app) doesn't have the same misunderstanding about it that QMC2 (the person) does :-)

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
OK, prescale was wrong smile. No, QMC2 (the app) has the "right understanding" about it, that is, it has "no idea what it means" (apparently just like the person wink ).

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
@ScoobyDew: We also have an FAQ about QMC2's way of configuring the emulator. It probably helps to get around other possible issues.

S
S
There a few games for which no "correct" romsets are available. There are available sets that run, but they're marked "mostly correct". This means that in order to display them, I have to enable both the green and olive drab buttons (or I can put those games in favorites, but I don't like doing that - then things would be in two places inatead of one, and favorites doesn't display as many details as the main view).

The problem with enabling the olive drab button is that it enables a bunch of game consoles in the list - a whole lot of them, like "Nintendo Entertainment System (PAL)".

So:
* Is there a way to suppress all of these game consoles when the "Mostly correct" button is active, so that I only see "mostly correct" roms that I've installed rather than also all of the game consoles?
* Alternatively, is there a way to manually mark a rom as "correct" - i.e. override the automatic status of the rom, so I force it to appear in the green list?

Thanks.

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
The ROM status has nothing to do with the "machine type", and no, there's no indication in MAME which type of system a machine is. So, consequently, QMC2 can't do that and it also doesn't try to do it on its own.

The ROM status is the result of "mame -verifyroms". It's "read-only".

Page 90 of 116 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 115 116

Moderated by  qmc2 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (nerd4gw, 1 invisible), 28 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,286
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com