Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By theOldSport
Also, I found a bug while playing the game of the year
I booted with XUTIL.IMD and changed to 80-column mode, then used the F12 reset. After that I booted the games disk.

You mean the characters off to the left? That's not a bug in MAME, it's just a quirk of 80 columns mode. The space to the left actually displays the rightmost eight columns of the 128-column virtual display. It's relying on the program being well-behaved and not writing outside a 120x32 character area. There's no additional logic to blank the area on the left.

T
OP Offline
T
Those characters, as well as others that show up in pacman's way. This occurs in 104 column mode as well. I had a hunch inaccurate emulation wasn't to blame. I can't really try it out on my Osborne until I clean the drive heads, and write the IMD to a floppy.

Edit- Now I don't think the random characters are just a quirk of the system. This bug occurs in all text modes, and I don't remember seeing it before. It can even be game-breaking, since random characters will block pacman's path. This bug was, however, present in MAME 166. Perhaps I forgot the game itself is buggy??
Here's a copy of the game disk

Last edited by theOldSport; 10/30/15 12:50 PM.
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
OK, I've fixed one outstanding issue: it now buffers the vertical scroll value at the correct time. I'd say the emulation is in decent shape now.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By theOldSport
Is there anything left to be implemented here? As far as I know, the only feature the Osborne emu lacks is the ability to write to disks.

I just checked to make sure, and writing to .mfi disk images works fine. Use floptool that builds with MAME to convert images to .mfi format. For example:
Code:
make -j8 TOOLS=1 REGENIE=1 PTR64=1
./floptool64 convert auto mfi AMCALL.IMD amcall.mfi
./mame64 osborne1 -flop1 os1xutls.td0 -flop2 amcall.mfi

In the emulated Osborne1 I used SYSGEN to copy CP/M to the disk in drive B and setup to configure it for 104-column mode. Then to make sure the changes really persisted, I exited MAME and booted from the modified image:
Code:
./mame64 osborne1 -flop1 amcall.mfi

AMCALL booted in 104-column mode, while the disk image originally didn't even have CP/M present. Writing to .mfi disk images definitely works.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (AaronGiles), 42 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,834
Posts116,214
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020