Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Z
Zadduk Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Here on Arch Linux with 0.171 version (packaged by distro) I get:
Code:
[zadduk@arch ~]$ sdlmame lynx -cart "/home/zadduk/Downloads/roms/Pac-Land (USA, Europe).zip"
lynx.bin ROM NEEDS REDUMP
WARNING: the machine might not run correctly.
FATALERROR: Device Generic ROM Socket / RAM Socket / Cartridge Slot load failed: Unspecified error

It was working a few versions ago. Can anybody comfirm?

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
The version for Windows and the lynx driver is still working.
Did you tried the softwarelist instead of the full path?

Z
Zadduk Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hmm, yes, it works via softwarelist...Thanks for that!

But I still think that it is a bug...Every system that I tried works with full path except Atari Lynx. cry

Z
Zadduk Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Just for the record, this bug has been reported here.

Summarizing, MESS does not load lynx headerless roms (like No-Intro ones) via fullpath load, but it does via softwarelist (lynx softlist entries are No-Intro based).
I wrote a patch but it is not accepted, I guess.

You need to submit code through official channels. Patches there may not be looked at or processed in any timely manner.

http://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/Submitting_Source_Code

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
nope. lynx headerless rom *CANNOT* be loaded, for the simple reason that different carts use different PCBs that need to be loaded differently.

I'm sure that you managed to load the game(s) you are interested in, but other games will fail and thus your changes cannot be accepted. The only way to really support headerless roms would be to hardcode a database of CRCs of all headerless roms, and it is not going to be accepted

The fault of this whole situation is of no-intro guys who do not explain properly that headerless roms are useless for lynx as well as for nes.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you can only go through adding back the headers or to use softlist.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I think that's being excessively strict. There are under 50 total Lynx commercial ROMs, so it would be quite easy to test if a given fullpath loader is detecting properly.

Z
Zadduk Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
It's OK, but MESS support lynx headerless roms if extension is '.lyx'. (If you rename a no-intro rom from '.lnx' to '.lyx' works fine).
You can see the code here.

So I merely to tried extend that. What my patch is doing:
Code:
if image has header
  load as usual
else
 load like a softlist rom

So:
Quote:
[...]you managed to load the game(s) you are interested in, but other games will fail[...]

is not true. Header roms works as usual and headerless roms are loaded as softlist ones.

Edit: For the sake of clarity I would like to mention that No-intro roms are exactly the sames as softlist ones, but with different name and extension.

Last edited by Zadduk; 03/29/16 08:36 PM.
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted By Zadduk
It's OK, but MESS support lynx headerless roms if extension is '.lyx'. (If you rename a no-intro rom from '.lnx' to '.lyx' works fine).

I'm the one who wrote that code, so I'm fully aware of what MAME loading routine supports. But as you can read in the comment to the code, that code which loads games based on their size is just an heuristics which might fail for carts which use different PCBs (Lynx dumps are in a pityful state concerning documentation of the actual cart content, so we don't even know what cart uses what PCB, with the result that games might fail at a very later stage when an unemulated bankswitch is required... unlikely, since Huygens tested most games extensively, but still possible)

the correct fix is to change extension to the files, or to explain no-intro guys that their creating unsupportable sets by removing the header with no advice to the users.

Originally Posted By R. Belmont
I think that's being excessively strict. There are under 50 total Lynx commercial ROMs, so it would be quite easy to test if a given fullpath loader is detecting properly.

tentative fullpath loading is already supported if the user changes the extension to .lyx
maybe no-intro should change extension to their dumps, but extending the heuristics to the format .lnx, which was created to use the header information, is not really a solution IMHO

Z
Zadduk Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted By etabeta78
Originally Posted By Zadduk

I'm the one who wrote that code, so I'm fully aware of what MAME loading routine supports.

Well, you said: "lynx headerless rom *CANNOT* be loaded" so you did not seem "fully aware" to me... wink

Originally Posted By etabeta78
the correct fix is to change extension to the files, or to explain no-intro guys that their creating unsupportable sets by removing the header with no advice to the users.

But lynx softlist does the same thing!
It creates a set that you can not use via fullpath. Even roms from arcade can be used in that way ('sdlmame /whichever_path/shinobi.zip' works)

I just said that it is inconsistent to say "headerless roms are useless for lynx" and to do the same thing with softwarelist entries.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Golden Child), 18 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,101
Posts119,255
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com