http://www.progettosnaps.net/gameinit/
a new games info smile
I think Shidearavan templates too update for this extra smile
Good luck smile

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
And It think it's nice that the internal UI already supports it so QMC2 doesn't need to smile.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]
Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Also, if this is a serious feature request, please file it at our bug-tracker. Be aware, though, that things like this will probably not be added before the switch to Qt 5 has been completed. The reason for this also is that I will have to replace the use of QtWebKit with QtWebEngine, and I don't know yet how much this will affect "notes templates" (JavaScript support).

N
NLS Offline
N
A few questions AND A FEATURE REQUEST for you please:

Now with mame zipped extras I try to cleanup my QMC2 setup...

1) My videos (from videosnaps torrent) are set properly and QMC2 actually finds them, but they are played only in audio, no video. Should some specific CODECs be installed? (VLC shows videos fine and I have ffdshow latest tryout installed)

2) Seems it cannot see the new zipped extras (although set properly in config). Am I correct to assume, that the extra folder level they have doesn't allow for that? (so not an issue in QMC2)

3) How can I make cheat.7z work for QMC2? Doesn't seem to get a file as parameter, only a folder. (Options/Emulator/Global/Search paths/cheatpath)

4) Same for (new) ctrlr.zip. QMC2 seems to only be able to use a path?

5) This is more a general MAME question... Seems that crosshair is not used any more? It is not included in MAME distribution.

6) I have some confusion concerning artpreview and snap folders (or zips) and how they relate to QMC2 config. In Options/Front end/Files-Directories/Preview file (or directory) I have snap.zip. Is this the place for artpreview.zip instead? If not (and snap.zip is correct), where should I set artpreview to see it?

7) Feature: Allow for transparent portable setup. AFAIK QMC2 can be portable if you set the path to qmc2.ini in a parameter. This is not easy for systems that you don't invoke the front-end from console window OR using a shortcut (as shortcuts bind to specific drive letters and you don't want that in a portable setup). This can easily be resolved if QMC2 FIRST checks if there is qmc2.ini in own (qmc2) folder (or .qmc2 folder IN qmc2 own folder) AND THEN check user home directory for .qmc2 (precedence is to be discussed). How does this sound? Easy to implement I guess and will make it way more portable.

That's all for now. :P
Appreciate any help.

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
1) Of course you need the right codecs installed to display MP4 and/or AVI. Which one depends on your platform / distribution and personal taste.

2) What are "the new zipped extras"?

3) You don't pass a file name but a folder name here. cheat.7z is a folder named cheat. That's actually an emulator related question, not a front-end one.

4) Probably the same, but I dunno exactly.

5) AFAIK, they still work and were never included in the MAME binary.

6) What's "artpreview"? Previews in QMC2 are meant to be in-game screen shots... but you basically use them for whatever you like... there's custom artwork classes now (since a few version) which you can define and name yourself.

7) QMC2 is "portable" the way it is. If it's not the solution you want, suggest a clean patch (that solves the inherent chicken and egg problem).

N
NLS Offline
N
1) Windows 10 x64. FFDShow x64 latest installed. Point me to help please?

2) Sorry, PleasureDome started "releasing" (lacking a better word) AntoPISAs collection of extras (snaps, ends, bosses, pcb etc.) in zipped format (a zip for each folder, except samples and artwork). MAME itself can use those directly. But ignore this for now, as it MIGHT be an issue with the zips.

3) Same thing but different case. Cheat.7z was always (last few years) 7zipped and able to be used directly by MAME AFAIK (as all other folders).

4) Same as #3. Unlike #2 (where the issue could be the zips being one folder "deeper" - so ignore for now, not your problem), here the issue is that AFAIK MAME supports the ctrlr folder to be zipped (like snap.zip) and QMC2 doesn't.

5) Thanks.

6) "Artwork Preview". Yes I know about custom classes. That said, shouldn't QMC2 support directly what MAME itself (and embedded GUI) already supports?
In 0.172, ui.ini (part of stock mame) has provisions for:
cabinets, cpanels, pcbs, flyers, titles, ends, marquees, artwork_preview, bosses, logos, scores, versus, gameover, howto, select, icons, covers.
...as zipped files or folders.
Some of these are missing from QMC2.

7) Suggest a clean patch as in develop the solution myself and submit the patch? laugh Because it's been years since I could do that. smile If you mean something else, please let me know. I think my proposal was pretty clean:
- check if ./qmc2.ini exists.
- check if ./qmc2/qmc2.ini exists.
- check if $home/.qmc2/qmc2.ini exists (as is now).
...use the first you find.

Thanks for your reply.

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
The problem with your idea for 7) is that the binary and the configuration can and should generally be installed in different places... in other words, you're thinking too Windows-centric. But then again, what's the problem of adding "-config_path ." to the QMC2 command? There are .cmd / .bat files for that, or even console aliases smile.

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
1) Whatever the latest and greatest codec collection for Win 10 may be? I have no idea... but I'm sure some users here do smile!

2) Oh, OK. Put them in "custom artwork classes"!

3) Sure. I didn't say anything different. Just OMIT the .7z suffix of the file name when you enter its path in QMC2 (same as on the command line, BTW).

6) No, it shouldn't. Or better, that's WHY there are custom artwork classes. Everyone has different wishes, and the collections (esp. AntoPISA's) grow and spread faster than I could add new classes... so I've decided to make it up to the user to define whatever he/she likes. Everything else is too static and would require my work every time the community changes their current trends smile.

N
NLS Offline
N
2) Erm... ok. Note that mame itself, has "snapshot_directory" in mame.ini and "artwork_preview_directory" in ui.ini. So it already treats them as something different.

3) Clear thanks. You know if it will work for #4 (ctrlr) too?

6) As in #2 above. I am not talking about whatever collection AntoPISA makes, I am talking about those supported by stock 0.172 MAME and the stock UI. Somebody would expect that QMC2 stores and is able to configure (without using "custom classes") at least what stock MAME supports. But this is your call of course.

7) As I explained, yes it can be done with bat files and/or shortcuts set to call the parameter. Not purely a transparent portable solution.
(if you remember - I am sure you don't - I was striving for portability years ago too, when I pointed some paths that were not working using relative paths)

That said (and generally speaking), I really really doubt config and exe in same directory is Windows-centric. I've seen it done from the days of the Amiga (and before, but before Amiga and DOS, multi-level folders where rare anyway) and definitely is still done by many many many linux programs.

MAME itself is one! MAME holds the most important ini directly in its root.

In any case I don't think adding such a check during initialization would hurt QMC2 in any way - but your call again. smile

Thanks. smile

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
2) May be, but QMC2's (my) decision to do it the custom artwork way was way earlier than the latest MAME changes... and I don't care for the internal UI (not because it's bad but because it's not QMC2 related).

6) I think that 2) answers it.

7) Yes, I remember, and your post from that time was one reason why I added a Windows-specific option. But regarding usual placement of binaries and data, you're wrong. Anyway, I told you the solution for your specific use case a few posts back.

Page 107 of 116 1 2 105 106 107 108 109 115 116

Moderated by  qmc2 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Heihachi_73, 1 invisible), 22 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,286
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com