Print Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
New Fidelity chess modules #104957 04/07/16 09:50 AM
F
fhub Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi,

thanks to hap there are now drivers for Fidelity chess modules, but unfortunately there's still no support for chess pieces.
So I'm currenty working on implementing chess pieces to the 'fidel68k.cpp' driver.
So far I've made an external layout (from the internal one), added chess pieces to it, and also found out how to put any piece to any of the 64 board fields (setting up the start position is already working).

But now I have a big problem:
How can I detect which of the 64 board fields (or the extra buttons on the right column) has been clicked with the mouse, so that I can update correctly the pieces on the board?

I've already made lots of trials, but I'm just too unexperienced with the MESS details to get this working, so it would be nice if any of the MESS experts here (hap, robbbert, ...?) could help me with this task.

What I would need is: which code is needed in the fidel68k driver to know, WHEN I've clicked on the chess board, and on WHICH of the 64 fields!

Franz

Re: New Fidelity chess modules [Re: fhub] #104958 04/07/16 10:17 AM
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
We need a new input abstraction, not in the chess driver module or a separate fake-emulation module (that was mboard). The way chess computers know which piece is where is that they know the start state, and every move from there on. They can't 'see' the chess pieces, we should keep this part separate in the emulation.

This input layer needs to be generic enough to support stuff like this too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBHe8qcsEVc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGwsw8hRT7s

Re: New Fidelity chess modules [Re: hap] #104959 04/07/16 10:34 AM
F
fhub Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Well, that's not really helpful.

I've been working (privately) on the MESS chess modules since version 0.152, and I've even made a special chess version (CB-Emu) where ALL chess programs (Mephisto and SuperConstellation) are working perfectly - much better than in original MESS (I've even added lots of new Mephisto modules to it).
So I know this mboard.c quite well (I've improved it a lot for my CB-Emu), and even without my modifications the chess programs have always worked in MESS until version 0.163.
But then they stopped working, anytime even mboard.c has completely been removed, and now none of the Mephisto modules is working anymore.

I prefer to continue working on my own version, I don't want to wait for another 10 or 20 releases until anyone implements such a 'new input abstraction'.

So I'm still waiting for any hints how to add the necessary code (described in my first posting) to the fidel68k driver ...

Franz

Re: New Fidelity chess modules [Re: fhub] #104960 04/07/16 11:01 AM
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
The reason mboard was removed was not for being a bad implementation, but for unresolved source code license. If the license was resolved, it'd be removed when a new input abstraction is implemented and not anytime before that.

A MAME chesscomputer fork is fine of course smile But please be aware that you must resolve the proper license. Any remaining source code in your fork by Ralf Schaefer is from 0.172 and onward unresolved.
*edit* if you fork from 0.171 or before, I believe you're in the clear unless the driver source files are GPL. But don't take my word for it =)

Anyway your question: I'd add a custom timer and 'listen' to mouseclicks with it. You can check for button presses with m_inp_matrix[i]->read(); where i=0 is IN.0 and so on.

Last edited by hap; 04/07/16 11:10 AM.
Re: New Fidelity chess modules [Re: fhub] #104962 04/07/16 11:15 AM
Robbbert Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
For the glasgow driver, I was maintaining it for a while until "mboard" came along, which is when I stepped down from it.

Then a few weeks ago, mboard was removed due to the license issues hap mentioned. So I reverted glasgow back to the time when I did work on it (before mboard existed, before Ralf got involved), then made it work with current MAME. Naturally the code is utterly horrible, but it *does* work, complete with chess pieces.

So, if you can follow the code, you can see how the mouse clicks are picked up from the artwork and passed on to MAME. Don't copy the code though - it's horrible. Write your own equivalent.

If you want to run it in MAME, the mouse might not appear in full screen mode.

Re: New Fidelity chess modules [Re: fhub] #104968 04/07/16 01:56 PM
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Where can we download your CB-Emu?

Re: New Fidelity chess modules [Re: hap] #104969 04/07/16 02:27 PM
F
fhub Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted By hap
Where can we download your CB-Emu?

Well, I could upload it if anyone wants it.
But there might be problems with publishing it:
1) my modified sources are not included (because it's just for my private use), so maybe this would violate the MESS license?
2) and what about all the included chess ROMs? Although they are all available on different ROM sites, I'm not sure if it would be allowed to publish them.

So if these 2 points are no problems, then let me know and I'll upload CB-Emu to any filesharing site ...

BTW, both hints (from you and Robbbert) still didn't help me:
your single line is just ways too little information to write a working MESS code (at least for someone who has only very limited knowledge about MESS), and Robbbert's new Glasgow driver is just too complicated (for me!) to port it to the fidel68k source. frown

Franz

Re: New Fidelity chess modules [Re: fhub] #104970 04/07/16 02:33 PM
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Yes, if it's for private use of course you don't have to release the source code. But if you share it publicly (which I've seen you have in the past), you must include the source code. This rule applies even before 0.172(version of official license change).

Personally I'm willing to ignore this but officially as a MAME team member I can not. I'm sorry I can't help you further.

For the ROMs, if you have the right from the publishers to redistribute them, it's fine.

Re: New Fidelity chess modules [Re: hap] #104971 04/07/16 03:03 PM
F
fhub Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Ok, I've now removed all ROMs from the package (most people here know where to get them), and I've also included my modified sources now, so there are no MAME/MESS license problems anymore - here's the link:
http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/fcLoFWBo/file.html

It's based on MESS 0.152 (and the MinGW at this time 2 years ago), then the MESSUI 0.152 source from Robbbert's site, and finally updated with my own code modifications.

Since there have been so many changes in the MAME/MESS code in these last 20 releases, it would be quite hard to update this code for the current release 0.172.

Franz

Re: New Fidelity chess modules [Re: fhub] #104972 04/07/16 03:12 PM
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Great smile
Anyway, for starters I'd update to 0.171, I believe fidel*.* is included there. I'm not familiar with MESSUI but it appears to have 0.171 available here: http://www.progettosnaps.net/mess/messui/

As I said, 0.172 isn't possible unless you get license clearence from Ralf Schaefer.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (drewcifer, MAMEBase, Carbon, 1 invisible), 53 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,818
Posts116,083
Members4,915
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020