Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Attn users of older OSX versions [Re: Vas Crabb] #102676 11/19/15 08:16 PM
M
MacBox360 Offline
M
Originally Posted By Vas Crabb

You know you could have found where -arch ppc was coming from pretty easily with a blind grep. Then look at the output for likely candidates. It's not like I memorise where everything comes from either. You'll have to learn to look after yourself sooner or later.

I understand your point of view but the purpose of my posts is to give an hand to the MAME team in debugging the OSX ports trying to build binaries on my still-not-so-bad MDD G4, I know that most of answers to my questions are obvious to a developer but what I want is not to learn the whole C programming language but simply to know the few things needed to experiment a little.
Also I am a CMM programmer on my own so while I do not understand everything in the MAME source I can see the logic behind the expressions so I can discover errors but I don't know how to correct them :-D

For example I discovered that most of the error I am encountering declaring the use of GCC and C++ 4.2.1 are because the wrong arguments are passed to the compiler, seems that the gcc versioning of Genie is not working well and some argumetns specific to clang are for example passed to the gcc.
I am currently investigating when this happen...

Re: Attn users of older OSX versions [Re: Vas Crabb] #102680 11/20/15 02:41 AM
M
MacBox360 Offline
M
It's been a long path but in the end SDLmame 0.167 binary is available again for the PPC OSX users :-)
I had to compile against GCC 4.2.1, re-connect the /usr/bin/ld linker to the MacPort's ld64-97 and switch the makefile override "python2" pointing to the MacPort's Python 2.7 version.
The option -flax-vector-conversions was disliked by GCC 4.2 here and the -mlong-branch was not necessary but there is some troubles with portaudio part because I had to remove 5 unrecognized options from the portaudio.makefile to allow the build to proceed, again it seems the local genie does not recognize the compiler and pass to it some wrong options. Now I am building the ppc binary of QMC2 (without Phonon enabled due to issues with recent MacPorts QT4 distribution).
Thank you very very much Vas, without your help I would never made it :-)

Re: Attn users of older OSX versions [Re: Vas Crabb] #102707 11/21/15 10:16 PM
M
MacBox360 Offline
M
The LaserDisc stream is completely non-functional on OSX PPC binary, none of the three allowed video renderer (opengl, soft and accel) show anything, and no audio too...

Re: Attn users of older OSX versions [Re: Vas Crabb] #105469 05/08/16 08:48 PM
M
MacBox360 Offline
M
Maybe a silly question but... If I understand well the SDLMAME port for OSX PPC is on hold because the main obstacle is the lack of C++ 14 libraries support.
I discovered this page in MacPorts site where it seems that universal binaries for these libraries can be succesfully built under SnowLeo

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/LibcxxOnOlderSystems

The question is: If I built those libraries as described and I install them on my G4 with Leopard 10.5.8 are there any chances I could compile an SDLmame PPC OSX binary again?

Re: Attn users of older OSX versions [Re: Vas Crabb] #105470 05/08/16 09:29 PM
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
It's possible that would work, yes.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dorando, robcfg), 108 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,685
Posts114,052
Members4,863
Most Online510
Aug 26th, 2019