Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SCSI support in MAME #105897 06/02/16 10:57 PM
Al Kossow Offline OP
OP Offline
Just wanted to start a discussion about the architecture for this, especially in how we're going to handle all of the different tape and disk drives. Some have embedded controllers, some use bus adapters. Seems like there is going to have to be something like the identify table in

http://www.hp9845.net/9845/projects/hpdrive/

(which reminds me, we need something like this integrated for 9000 and 98xx hpib peripherals and peripherals on the Tek 4xxx terminals)

It really would be nice to be able to talk to real disks and tapes, too.

Re: SCSI support in MAME [Re: Al Kossow] #105898 06/02/16 11:29 PM
Darkstar Offline
Just to throw a few cents in here, here's what I think should not be overlooked with a proper SCSI emulation, in no specific order:

- Emulation of fast/wide/async transfers, SCSI modepages, and support for modepages in CHD files (or somewhere else?)
- Emulation of different drive "personalities" with respect to thinsg like emulated speed, custom vendor-specific modepages, bad blocks, spec violations, etc.....
- ...which would, at some point, replaced by actual SCSI device models which might even be running the whole microcode in emulation (this is obviously a few years off, if at all)
- support connecting multiple scsi host adapters to each other (I remember there once was a Linux(?) project that allowed you to connect two 1542's to each other and use them as high-speed data transfer bus)

Re: SCSI support in MAME [Re: Darkstar] #105900 06/03/16 12:04 AM
Al Kossow Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By Darkstar
Just to throw a few cents in here, here's what I think should not be overlooked with a proper SCSI emulation, in no specific order:

- Emulation of fast/wide/async transfers, SCSI modepages, and support for modepages in CHD files (or somewhere else?)

that opens up a can of worms wgt serial numbers of physical devices. you'd need to flag which fields are tied to a unit

i was thinking about that and the Sun emulation's ID proms.
you're going to need to set the machine ID if you run software that was node locked to the serial number

Last edited by Al Kossow; 06/03/16 12:05 AM.
Re: SCSI support in MAME [Re: Al Kossow] #105906 06/03/16 10:53 AM
Darkstar Offline
Originally Posted By Al Kossow
Originally Posted By Darkstar

that opens up a can of worms wgt serial numbers of physical devices. you'd need to flag which fields are tied to a unit

i was thinking about that and the Sun emulation's ID proms.
you're going to need to set the machine ID if you run software that was node locked to the serial number

Indeed it has some problems. Maybe a more generic way would be helpful, like adding specific metadata ("property=value" style) to devices, slot-devices and media which is stored separately, similar to nvram? The driver in question could then be automatically fed with this data on machine start (or dynamically query for it later)

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (RomKnight, AJR, Dorando), 64 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,775
Posts115,464
Members4,899
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020