Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Software List Grouping #107004 08/29/16 12:53 PM
Pernod Offline OP
OP Offline
Some of the software lists contain a large number of items covering various types of software, ie. games, utilities, educational, coverdisks, etc. which can add alot of uninteresting items to navigate if you're looking for a specific game.

I'm not suggesting a genre tag, which can be subjective, but instead how about an optional <softwaregroup name="Games"> between softwarelist and software items. This would allow grouping software by type. I know some of my bbc softlists would benefit from this, and I could merge my various bbc_flop_xxx lists if they were grouped in bbcb_flop.

It would add a single level of navigation in the UI and frontends such as QMC2 could allow collapse/expand of the groups.

Would this be much effort and acceptable if I looked into it?

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.
Re: Software List Grouping [Re: Pernod] #107008 08/29/16 06:26 PM
A
AJR Offline
A
I don't think this really requires a new XML tag; <info> should be adaptable for this purpose.

Re: Software List Grouping [Re: Pernod] #107009 08/29/16 06:33 PM
Pernod Offline OP
OP Offline
Sure, but the <info> tag is not really used by the internal UI, just contains extra info for any frontends that care to use it. And adding a <info name="group" value="Games" /> to every entry is more like specifying a genre which is not my intention.

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.
Re: Software List Grouping [Re: Pernod] #107010 08/29/16 06:46 PM
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I'm not understanding this request. You suggest games, utilities, educational, and coverdisks to differentiate pieces of software, but those *are* genres.

And if we decided to use <info> for this purpose, obviously the internal UI would start using it.

Re: Software List Grouping [Re: Pernod] #107012 08/29/16 08:08 PM
Pernod Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm thinking them more as categories/groups than genres. Just would like some way of grouping large number of entries in existing softlists. See c64_flop is already grouped into Games, Compilations, Applications, Educational, etc. but the UI has no way of knowing this to aid navigation.

The <info> tag could be used but would require every single item in a list be updated with the tag, and could be easily abused by making them all different which would hinder navigation.

This could also be useful in the psx and saturn lists to group titles by region. The saturn titles would be grouped Japan, USA, Europe (not genres) which would definitely aid navigation.

Re: Software List Grouping [Re: Pernod] #107015 08/30/16 03:20 AM
D
Duke Offline
D
Just use different software lists for those. system_flop_games.xml, system_flop_applications.xml, etc. You can select the list in the built-in UI then.

Re: Software List Grouping [Re: Pernod] #107016 08/30/16 07:19 AM
J
judge Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Some form of tagging where multiple tags can be assigned to a piece of software should cover most of this.

Re: Software List Grouping [Re: Pernod] #107017 08/30/16 12:12 PM
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
no please, no splitting by genre in list. any such a split would be highly arbitrary (for example
it's highly debatable where the line has to be drawn between some edutainment and some games) and we shall stick to objective documentation in both source and software lists. the separation inside the xml is just for make simpler later updates.

genres should be dealt by external datfiles.

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (belegdol, Dorando), 67 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,682
Posts114,002
Members4,863
Most Online510
Aug 26th, 2019