Page 1 of 2 1 2
PM me with cool MAME and MESS-related stuff #108534 01/23/17 12:59 PM
J
Just Desserts Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
People have done a lot of cool shit with MAME and MESS over the past (almost) 20 years. I'm making a video about it. One of my favorite bitpop bands gave me permission to use one of my favorite songs from them, so now I really have no excuse not to make it.

I'm aware of some of the cool shit that people have done, but nowhere near all of it. I want to be informed about all of the cool shit.

Send me private messages or post in-thread here with cool shit that you think should go in a video. Preferably in the form of links to videos, screenshots, or websites with either.

There's no real criteria other than it be cool shit. A feature you like? Something cool that someone else did that's even tangentially MAME-related, like SailorSat's resurrection of her Wing War Twin arcade cabinet, or Zektor's Vector Generator board? Sky's the limit.

Re: PM me with cool MAME and MESS-related stuff [Re: Just Desserts] #108541 01/23/17 06:28 PM
B2K24 Offline
I love threads like this and look forward to the final video smile

One thing that immediately comes to mind is; the ability to change effects in real-time when running bgfx. I feel like a lot of people don't realize this is possible while also being easy to do.

Looking forward to what others think and write in about. I'll add some more things as I think of them.

Re: PM me with cool MAME and MESS-related stuff [Re: B2K24] #108550 01/24/17 01:10 AM
J
Just Desserts Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By B2K24
One thing that immediately comes to mind is; the ability to change effects in real-time when running bgfx. I feel like a lot of people don't realize this is possible while also being easy to do.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've had to give some clarification on MAMEWorld, so I'll put it here too: I already have my hands pretty full with this video, given that in the next week and a half I need to:
- Get non-rusty at either Sony Vegas or (more likely) Adobe Premiere
- Collate potentially hundreds of screenshots
- Write a bespoke program to generate an uncompressed AVI with a translucent marquee listing all MAME, MESS and DU contributors since the project, once Vas gets me that list.
- Figure out how best to integrate an up-to-date visualization of the changes to MAME's codebase, once OG gets me that video.
- Putting the above, plus all of the media that others (hopefully) will get me together into the video, making sure it flows well, making sure it messages clearly, and polishing it to a mirror sheen.

There are additional limits on suggestions, as the Swedish bitpop band, Dunderpatrullen, have graciously given me permission to use one of my favorite tracks of theirs as the backing track, which precludes anything that's purely audio-related from going into the video, and so preferably the suggestions should be for things which:
1) Are still images that are immediately recognizable or at least understandable by people at least moderately familiar with MAME or MESS, even if they're only on screen for less than 5 seconds, or
2) Are videos from which I can clip out a 5-to-10-second segment, ideally on the lower end of that range, yet is still recognizable and meets the requirement of "looks cool", for sufficiently MAME-specific, geeky definitions of "looks cool".

So please, if you are able, link me directly to websites, link me directly to images, or link me directly to videos from which I can glean these smaller segments, because my hands are going to be pretty full just getting familiar with Vegas or Premiere again over the next couple of days while (hopefully) everyone else is chasing down media for me to use.

With that in mind, I have a few requests of things for other people to chase down while I work on re-familiarizing myself with video editing. Ideally, I'd like clips to be in uncompressed AVI format and put on mega.co.nz for me to download, though I will also accept losslessly-compressed videos, or even lossy-compressed (but high-quality-encoded) clips if I have to:

1. "Stupid MESS Tricks" - A video of loading and browsing the Bannister.org forums or some other emulation-related site on an emulated Mac. A video of running some early version(s) of MAME, most likely in one of the PC drivers.

2. Carl's hitbox-viewer script for Lua - a video of it in action. I haven't the slightest idea how to go about using the script, so if any of you do, please download OBS and spin me up a script showing it off.

3. A video showing off MAME's debugger, maybe even the ImGUI debugger since it would be the easiest to get running, but I'd prefer to show how we have debugger support using native widgets. Do something cool with it, I don't know - add comments to the disassembly, pop out a bunch of different windows, alter the color of some of the lines of disassembly (I think that's possible).

4. 4. A video showing off MAME's HLSL CRT post-processing, or the BGFX equivalent chain ("hlsl"). Make sure it's a game that is really slick-looking when run through the filter. If possible, do a separate video showing off switching BGFX screen chains "live".

5. A video, or multiple videos (maybe 3-4, so I have a choice in case one doesn't 'work' visually) showing off MAME's handheld emulation, including vectorized artwork. Hopefully hap can chase this one down.

6. Links to Aaron's talk(s) at CAX, Micko's talk(s) at whatever conventions he's been to, and videos of any other speaking engagements that MAME team members have had.

7. I've heard rumors of someone using VectorMAME or DVMAME and a ZVG board to throw Star Wars or some other vector game onto the side of a building. If true, I'd love to see a video or images of that. If not, I'd love just as much to see a video or images of any other large-format, so to speak, uses of MAME.

8. I know MAME has been mentioned at least a few times in print media. Scans of said print media would be awesome.

Re: PM me with cool MAME and MESS-related stuff [Re: Just Desserts] #108555 01/24/17 02:16 AM
C
crazyc Offline
C
Originally Posted By Just Desserts

2. Carl's hitbox-viewer script for Lua - a video of it in action. I haven't the slightest idea how to go about using the script, so if any of you do, please download OBS and spin me up a script showing it off.

This is really simple. Get the latest cheat package from Pugsy's. Run sf2 in mame with "-plugin cheat". Go to the Plugin Options-Cheat menu. Enable the Hitbox Viewer cheat. Start a game.

Re: PM me with cool MAME and MESS-related stuff [Re: crazyc] #108556 01/24/17 02:18 AM
J
Just Desserts Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By crazyc
Originally Posted By Just Desserts

This is really simple. Get the latest cheat package from Pugsy's. Run sf2 in mame with "-plugin cheat". Go to the Plugin Options-Cheat menu. Enable the Hitbox Viewer cheat. Start a game.

See above regarding all the things that I already have to juggle for this video. Could you do me a solid and record a 20-30 second clip using Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) or another capture program (preferably lossless, otherwise 1080p at a high bit rate if not) and throw it on mega.co.nz for me to download?

Re: PM me with cool MAME and MESS-related stuff [Re: Just Desserts] #108557 01/24/17 02:29 AM
C
crazyc Offline
C
Okay, I'll try to get something for you.

Edit:
https://mega.nz/#!wJsElapL!h7eSl9v_2mFDI5GQyWG0wWCF7R0autgP40FT_9Z3zrM
The quality of play is quite poor but you can see the damage zone surround Blanka when he does the shock attack.

Last edited by crazyc; 01/24/17 03:46 AM.
Re: PM me with cool MAME and MESS-related stuff [Re: crazyc] #108593 01/24/17 10:23 PM
J
Just Desserts Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By crazyc
The quality of play is quite poor but you can see the damage zone surround Blanka when he does the shock attack.

Thanks! This should work fine.

Re: PM me with cool MAME and MESS-related stuff [Re: Just Desserts] #108594 01/24/17 10:27 PM
J
Just Desserts Offline OP
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
Also, bumping. Please, can other people help out here?

Re: PM me with cool MAME and MESS-related stuff [Re: Just Desserts] #108598 01/25/17 09:10 AM
R
robcfg Online Content
Online Content
R
I'd suggest making a zoom in into one of the wonderful decap pictures from seanriddle, and maybe record a small video of data transmission between different machines as mahlemiut's Husky Hunter turotial: http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93929#Post93929

Re: PM me with cool MAME and MESS-related stuff [Re: Just Desserts] #108670 01/29/17 03:43 PM
pakoman Offline
-Maybe is very obvious but what about a double screen showing an arcade cabinet with the real jamma board and the same game running with a computer/Mame in the same cabinet, native resolution, etc. ?

Clearly showing in one the jamma board in one and the computer in the other, and the screen displaying exactly the same in both scenarios.

-Weird cheats in aracde games, like the super-jump in Ghosts n' Goblins.

Last edited by pakoman; 01/29/17 03:44 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Carbon), 278 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,734
Posts114,829
Members4,879
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020