Next Thread
Print Thread
What's the status of japanese computers emulation? #110865 09/26/17 03:37 PM
N
Nodoyuna Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi there

As I'm checking the systems available in MAME, besides arcade, I want to check japanese computers, like X68000, PC98, PC88 and other similar ones

As there are some different drivers for them, is there any of them that it's better or preferred over the others?

I'd like to know also the status of IBM PC emulation...

Thanks in advance

Re: What's the status of japanese computers emulation? [Re: Nodoyuna] #110866 09/26/17 05:22 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
X68000 is very well supported. Even add-ons like a hard disk and MIDI interface are supported, and the majority of games play fine.

PC98 and PC88 also play many games, and there is some add-on card support for them once again, as well as support for specific PC-98 models. Kale can give details smile

IBM PC emulation is pretty good, from the original Model 5150 up to 486-33 with SVGA and Sound Blaster or Gravis. DOS, OS/2, Windows 1.0-3.11, Windows 9X/ME, and Windows 2000 all run, in addition to Linux, Netware, and others. Because we emulate the actual machines in their entirety, you do have to do things like configure the BIOS that e.g. DOSBox doesn't require. There are multiple video, sound, Ethernet, and other cards (e.g. MPU-401 for MIDI) supported for ISA-bus PCs.

Re: What's the status of japanese computers emulation? [Re: Nodoyuna] #110871 09/27/17 12:43 AM
M
mixmaster Offline
M
Let me rephrase that... the IBM PC emulation is good as long as you put in mostly supported cards and use software that doesn't abuse extreme edge cases with specific hardware revisions or said cards.

Most of the early Japanese computers with common TMS or Yamaha video chips a la the MSX are well done within the emulator, but once again, they are emulated in their entirety, so be prepared for advanced device configuration. MSX2 also works, up to the MSX2+ models, although some models are not working due to incomplete emulation. TurboR hardware also needs extra work at a future point.

At some point in the future, I'm willing to see if any Japanese sides of the Dumping Union can dump some PC-AX machines with those Japanese EGA cards. Those would be interesting to emulate, albeit we lack very much any detail other than MS-DOS drivers...

Re: What's the status of japanese computers emulation? [Re: Nodoyuna] #110875 09/27/17 09:37 AM
N
Nodoyuna Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks both for the replies laugh

I'm trying to make MAME the only emulator for the most systems, and delete the individual systems emulators, when it's possible
I already checked NONMAME, so now I have a better idea of the systems that are suppossed to work fine

I like the way MAME does computers, and the need to plug the cards and use the system the way it was done at the time

It seems I have many things to check laugh

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Justin, R. Belmont, rfka01), 208 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,711
Posts114,510
Members4,869
Most Online510
Aug 26th, 2019