03/21/18 02:07 PM
03/21/18 02:07 PM
CA
M
Mr. Do Offline OP
Mr. Do  Offline OP
M
CA
I can't seem to get the artwork for this correct (the current artwork is also incorrect).

Example... the HP48 line... the screen is blue text on pea green background (see image below)... current MAME is grey text on pea green background.

But no matter what I do on my end with an overlay or backdrop, I can't get the text the right color, because the green background is also being affected.

Does this need to be fixed in the driver to be blue? Or am I missing something? 'Cause I already see other calculator drivers where I am going to have similar issues.

[Linked Image]

RELAX and just have fun.
Remember, it's all about the games. smile
Re: HP Calculators - Screen Color [Re: Mr. Do] #112932
03/21/18 06:18 PM
03/21/18 06:18 PM
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
hap  Offline
Very Senior Member
H
Yes, it would need to be corrected in the MAME source. It's in src/mame/video/hp48.cpp line 30, feel free to make a pull request.
But before you do that, I think something's wrong with that photo, too much green(bezel too). Find a better reference.

Also, while googling around for HP48 images, I stumbled upon this:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-6765.html
Not all of them have the same LCD screen.

Re: HP Calculators - Screen Color [Re: hap] #113104
04/12/18 05:29 AM
04/12/18 05:29 AM
CA
M
Mr. Do Offline OP
Mr. Do  Offline OP
M
CA
Originally Posted by hap
Yes, it would need to be corrected in the MAME source. It's in src/mame/video/hp48.cpp line 30, feel free to make a pull request.
But before you do that, I think something's wrong with that photo, too much green(bezel too). Find a better reference.

Also, while googling around for HP48 images, I stumbled upon this:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-6765.html
Not all of them have the same LCD screen.

Glad you posted that pic... way better reference, 'cause I was going to mention that, too... that different versions have different color screens. Haven't done the pull yet, as, though I could probably figure out how to fix the one color... I don't know what I would need to add so that different versions have different color screens. For now, I have the artwork fixed to match and be uniform... I'll come back around to this.

New question... Thomson computer... current artwork for each version has a little disk icon that shows three states for floppy drive: off, read, write, plus a power on/off light. Personally, I've never seen a real disk drive that has separate lights for read/write; simply a light that shows disk activity.

I looked specifically for Thomson drives and found two examples:

Here... https://forum.system-cfg.com/viewtopic.php?t=2848 ... the lights are labeled as "busy" and "standby." And here... http://dcmo5.free.fr/picture/dd90-320.jpg... I'm guessing the green light is power, and the red is disk activity. Other pictures of Thomson drives I find seem to be similar... no extra lamp.

I haven't found video or manuals yet... was this artwork done simply as a feature to distinguish read/write? Or is there really a disk drive out there that has separate lamps for each?

I can easily re-create how the current artwork is with real pictures... but... I'm trying to find confirmation somewhere that the real hardware actually did this, and I can't just find any. Even after reading through the MAME driver, and Antoine's page here: https://www-apr.lip6.fr/~mine/mess/index.html.en

RELAX and just have fun.
Re: HP Calculators - Screen Color [Re: Mr. Do] #113175
04/21/18 07:12 AM
04/21/18 07:12 AM
Sydney, Australia
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Vas Crabb  Offline
Very Senior Member
Sydney, Australia
Eugh, monochrome LCD colours as palettes in driver source are a horrible hack. It should just produce 1-bit output and let something downstream deal with it.

Re: HP Calculators - Screen Color [Re: Mr. Do] #113178
04/21/18 12:11 PM
04/21/18 12:11 PM
USA
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
R. Belmont  Offline
Very Senior Member
R
USA
I haven't found video or manuals yet... was this artwork done simply as a feature to distinguish read/write? Or is there really a disk drive out there that has separate lamps for each?

Adding a read/write LED was a relatively common Apple II aftermarket mod. I don't know of any drives from anyone that shipped that way though.

Re: HP Calculators - Screen Color [Re: Vas Crabb] #113179
04/21/18 12:14 PM
04/21/18 12:14 PM
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
hap  Offline
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted by Vas Crabb
Eugh, monochrome LCD colours as palettes in driver source are a horrible hack. It should just produce 1-bit output and let something downstream deal with it.

I think it would be possible already with internal artwork:
screen output: white on black
lcd color: use .lay overlay
background: use .lay backdrop

Re: HP Calculators - Screen Color [Re: hap] #113239
04/26/18 06:55 AM
04/26/18 06:55 AM
CA
M
Mr. Do Offline OP
Mr. Do  Offline OP
M
CA
Originally Posted by hap
Originally Posted by Vas Crabb

Thank you both!! I was going to suggest just that, but didn't, for silly fear of being the "new guy coming in and suggesting to change a bunch of stuff."

'Cause as I've been going through and updating artwork, there are a bunch of other drivers that have a monochrome LCD that today are setup a similar way.

But at the same time... I'm the artwork guy... I don't know how to update the actual driver(s) to change this. (Could probably teach myself if I had more time... but I barely have time to do the stuff I'm doing now).

Would it be helpful if I made a list of drivers that are currently setup this way, and would need to be converted?

RELAX and just have fun.
Re: HP Calculators - Screen Color [Re: R. Belmont] #113240
04/26/18 06:59 AM
04/26/18 06:59 AM
CA
M
Mr. Do Offline OP
Mr. Do  Offline OP
M
CA
Originally Posted by R. Belmont

Adding a read/write LED was a relatively common Apple II aftermarket mod. I don't know of any drives from anyone that shipped that way though.

Neat... I found a page that describes how to set that up... so I'll go with the same thing for Thomson.

When I get around to it, does the current Apple II driver support this, so I can add it in also? And was it only the Apple II, or could that be done to other Apple computers also?

RELAX and just have fun.
Re: HP Calculators - Screen Color [Re: hap] #113243
04/26/18 01:24 PM
04/26/18 01:24 PM
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
hap  Offline
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted by hap

Woops, I just realized this won't work, sorry. The overlay and backdrop colours will mix with rendering, it's not possible to create a typical lcd view with this(darkblue segments on peasoup background). Maybe it's possible if screen output is black on white, like how the LCD handhelds are done.

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (mahlemiut), 29 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,555
Posts111,752
Members4,801
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014