06/29/18 04:02 AM
06/29/18 04:02 AM
California
M
Monotremata Offline OP
Monotremata  Offline OP
M
California
Figured this would be the place to ask.. I can't seem to open any of the console software at all with SDLMame on MacOS 10.13.5. Both Negatron and QMC2 front ends just start up MAME, it goes maybe to the Initializing message, then MAME shuts down. Last week, I tried to do it with MAME's own GUI, and for some reason when I selected a console, it didn't open the software lists at all, but instead asked me to browse for one (I have the entire hash folder intact). This morning I built 0.199 and now the software lists show up again in the GUI, but they still don't load. It just tells me its missing some required files, so decided to try it from the command line, just a simple 'mame64 nes -cart smb2'. It shuts down as usual, and the terminal gives me this message:

Code
mothra$ /Volumes/Storage/MAME/mame64 nes -cart smb2
**Error loading plugin.ini**
pal-mw-0 prg NOT FOUND (tried in nes nes/smb2 smb2)
nes-mw-0 chr NOT FOUND (tried in nes nes/smb2 smb2)
Fatal error: Required files are missing, the machine cannot be run.

I unzipped it and sure enough there were the files. So I did it again only this time with 'mame64 nes -cart smb2.zip', and get a different error message when it shuts down:

Code
Fatal error: Device NES Cartridge Slot load (-cartridge smb2.zip) failed: File not found

I only have the apple2 disks, nes, and snes installed so I can test it without having another 20gb of consoles on my drive, and it does this with all of them, no matter what cartridge or disk Ive tried to load. Any ideas why Im like the only person in the world having this trouble?? I checked permissions, and not only is my Mac set to ignore ownership/permission on the drive the MAME files live on, but Im the owner with full access anyways! All three sets passed an audit in ClrMAMEPro at 100% so everything should just be working like it used to!

Re: Trouble using software... [Re: Monotremata] #113630
06/29/18 02:37 PM
06/29/18 02:37 PM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Haze  Offline
Very Senior Member
H

mame64 nes -cart smb2
pal-mw-0 prg NOT FOUND (tried in nes nes/smb2 smb2)
nes-mw-0 chr NOT FOUND (tried in nes nes/smb2 smb2)
Fatal error: Required files are missing, the machine cannot be run.

This is the correct syntax for launching a software list item, I can only assume that smb2.zip is not in your rom path

mame64 nes -cart smb2.zip
Fatal error: Device NES Cartridge Slot load (-cartridge smb2.zip) failed: File not found

this is the incorrect syntax, this is for launching loose roms (not recommended) and won't work with the software list NES roms anyway because they're split by chip

Last edited by Haze; 06/29/18 02:40 PM.
Re: Trouble using software... [Re: Monotremata] #113631
06/29/18 02:46 PM
06/29/18 02:46 PM
USA
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
R. Belmont  Offline
Very Senior Member
R
USA
Code
mothra$ /Volumes/Storage/MAME/mame64 nes

Where is your "nes" folder with the software list zips in it? It might help to cd /Volumes/Storage/MAME first and then ./mame64 nes, as the current path when you launch MAME can be important.

Re: Trouble using software... [Re: Monotremata] #113633
06/29/18 05:22 PM
06/29/18 05:22 PM
California
M
Monotremata Offline OP
Monotremata  Offline OP
M
California
Software zips are in the regular old /Volumes/Storage/MAME/software folder.. I am using the merged set as well, so I gotcha with not using the .zip extension. It doesnt know which rom to open hah. Does the same thing though if I try it with something like "-cart smb2u" still though. If I use 'mame64 nes -cart smb2u' I get the error with the prg/chr files not being found (also does the same thing if I change to the MAME directory and use ./mame64 nes -cart smb2u. What's weird is, I can open mame from the command line, and open a No-Intro rom with MAME just fine, but for whatever reason, its not working with its own cartridges. I was up late trying to figure it out. MAME seems very picky about whether I have an absolute file path for some options or not. And I DO have /Volumes/Storage/MAME in my bash path so I can run mame from the terminal without having to type the whole directory out. In the ini, I have the working directory set to . which Im assuming makes the /MAME folder, the root, so some of the stuff is working with just the folder listed, like nvram, cfg, sta, etc cause I can see it make new save states and memory files every time I open an arcade.. But some of the stuff didn't want to work without the whole path being listed as /Volumes/Storage/MAME/path.. I didn't realize my samples weren't playing because MAME was pointed at the /MAME/samples folder, and not the /MAME Extras/samples folder. In two seconds I had sound back in Zaxxon haha. Also had a weird issue with the software lists themselves in MAMEs own GUI.... Now in my ini file, the path was just set to 'hash'. QMC2 works great this way, so does Negatron, and MAME used to. Now with MAME 0.198, in MAME's own GUI, when I selected a console, instead of opening up the software list what it did was showed me the screen to load a cartridge file. If I browse to the directory, and manually picked say Super Mario Bros 2, then instead of opening the game, it would open the zip file as a directory and show me all the rom files inside. Im assuming this is because my set is merged, so it didn't know what it was supposed to open in it.. Yesterday, after building 0.199, all of a sudden, the lists worked again. Hit enter to launch a console, it opens the list of roms available. YAY. Then at some point in the day, it went back to the old behavior out of nowhere. So I opened the ini, and just changed the path to /Volumes/Storage/MAME/hash, and it magically fixed that issue. Trying to get this all nailed down cause it seems like somewhere in there, my configuration is screwed up, and maybe I should start over.. It probably doesnt help that most of the files are probably a few years old, aside from MAME and the tools, which get built fresh every month, and my roms/extras which are constantly updated. Add to that Ive been bouncing between QMC2 and Negatron (even attempted to set up Attract Mode once but gave up), and Im sure something is overwriting something somewhere or something. As it is, I just learned that MAME is actually using a mame.ini file that lives in ~/Library/Application Support/mame, and NOT the one in the /MAME directory, which I think is the one Negatron is using.

I did somewhat figure out the plugins though and got rid of the "Error loading plugin.ini" every time something launched.. Stupid me, thought that was a source folder. I never copied it from the build directory into the actual MAME install. Once I did that, the Plugins menu in MAME populated itself. The ini file was blank the whole time. All I had to do was enable and re-disable a plugin, and it filled out the ini, so at least that ones gone.

Last edited by Monotremata; 06/29/18 05:40 PM.
Re: Trouble using software... [Re: Monotremata] #113634
06/29/18 06:13 PM
06/29/18 06:13 PM
California
M
Monotremata Offline OP
Monotremata  Offline OP
M
California
Argh.. Decided to unmerge my set (and learned CMP lies and it DOES get rid of the original files!!) to try it that way just in case.. Still same error, can't find the two rom files its looking for. The error that comes up in MAME's GUI, is just 'The software is missing one or more required files. Please select another.' or something of the sort so I assume its the same error. No-Intro ones are ok though? I loaded several of those today just fine!

Ive been reading up on command line options for MAME, never knew there was the -verifysoftware and -verifysoftlist commands! I tried to run both options to check all three systems. The nes told me it found a whopping 4 roms in 5 softlists (assuming it checks every one with nes in its title), but both the apple2 and snes both told me there were no rom sets found when I used -verifysoftlist, and "romset has no software entries defined" when I ran -verifysoftware. Now Im really confused.. Everything is in its right place in either /software/nes, /software/snes, or /software/apple2.. All the hash files are in place in the /hash folder, and MAME can read the lists just fine in the gui, just can't find any of the roms. I even ran those verifications with both the relative path's in the mame.ini, and with the absolute paths as well. Same results either way, MAME is just going senile on me??

Last edited by Monotremata; 06/29/18 10:18 PM.
Re: Trouble using software... [Re: Monotremata] #113636
06/30/18 03:09 AM
06/30/18 03:09 AM
California
M
Monotremata Offline OP
Monotremata  Offline OP
M
California
Ok fixed!!!! Ive been trying things all day and came back to re-read your guys responses. Haze mentioning it wasn't in my ROM path clued me in. I thought the swpath entry in the ini file was where the software roms were located?? I added "software" to my rom path. I was already in the MAME directory in the terminal but I ran ./mame nes -cart smb2u just to be safe, and IT WORKED!! Tried it again without the ./ and it still works!! It only works either way if Im in the MAME directory though. I have the root folder in my path so I can just run mame64 from the command line and play arcade games, but it ONLY works from the command line.. I fired up the MAME GUI, and no dice. Somehow my favorites keep getting wiped out, but when I found and clicked on the NES, it's doing the thing again now where it doesnt open the software list, and wants me to browse to a rom to open, but it won't/can't open them!!! They're working great in Negatron now that I added 'software' to the ROM locations. I don't remember ever having to do that before but maybe I did in an old install. They were just working a few versions ago though, but that was in QMC2 also.. Still don't remember having to put them in the ROM path though. The software path worked for it.

EDIT: Nevermind, MAME magically works now too! Just reopened it a few minutes ago, and now its showing the lists again, and both Castlevania 2 and Donkey Country opened up in MAMEs own GUI! Simple fix for a stupid oversight I guess. Maybe I just needed to relaunch MAME after I changed the rom path or something?

Last edited by Monotremata; 06/30/18 03:31 AM.

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Praxis, Dorando, Darkstar, mahlemiut), 78 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,574
Posts112,027
Members4,812
Most Online225
May 26th, 2014