Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 297 of 331 1 2 295 296 297 298 299 330 331
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: Just Desserts] #114235 11/11/18 12:25 AM
u-man Offline
Originally Posted by Just Desserts
And I could dust off my OBJ model loading code and make MAME display that, but I'm not paying the price of an actual LCD handheld per-model, fuck that.

If you can make/create such a option to load a OBJ model, that would be more than enough smile No need to pay for 3d-models, people would build some models, i am sure about that.

this one for example, is free: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/413aef5c-d72d-4b97-8ce5-b28e5852b13c/Nintendo-Donkey-Kong-LCD

just needs textures and a .OBJ conversion... easy.

Last edited by u-man; 11/11/18 12:45 AM.

I live... I die... I live again.
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: Rik] #114242 11/11/18 06:30 AM
L
Lord Nightmare Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
L
Originally Posted by Rik
Has Tiger Marble Madness been dumped (or at least in the possession of someone that will dump it)? Found a spare... smile

I have one, from Stilett0, which will be sent to sean sometime fairly soon.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #114243 11/11/18 09:26 AM
F
Fake Shemp Offline
F
Time to sound negative, but those models are terrible. Buying them at that price is nothing but a scam. If we're just going to render the handhelds themselves there's no reason to keep them so low-poly.

The idea of having 3D-models is something I like though. I'm a 3D modeller by trade and have long been thinking about making some high quality models of handhelds for use in MAME, with an actually sane price of zero and probably some CC license.

I'd be really glad if the support was for something other than the archaic OBJ, but I guess it has to start somewhere.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: Fake Shemp] #114244 11/11/18 11:11 AM
J
Just Desserts Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted by Fake Shemp
I'd be really glad if the support was for something other than the archaic OBJ, but I guess it has to start somewhere.

Since you're a 3D modeller by trade, what format would you prefer?

The primary two requirements are that it has to be open and it should preferably have robust support for materials. OBJ at least meets the former of those requirements. FBX meets the latter, but is proprietary as all hell. 3DS, I haven't looked into. What other ones are there?

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: u-man] #114247 11/11/18 12:11 PM
RColtrane Offline
Originally Posted by u-man
Sorry to say that, but these are not vectored cases at all. Opening up your files, just gave me a hell of a mess in Illustrator, with trillions of layers. I would rather like to have the original pictures, to do that job properly. What you have done here, is basically run the pictures through a app/plug-in with very poor results.

Yep, you are correct. I made those png pictures displayed here using Photoshop to get them straight, since they were in perspective (real people do not scan or take straight frontal hi-res pictures of the units they are selling so...) and after that I ran those png files through an online vectoring tool which do pixel-perfect svg files from raster images, as you correctly presumed. To me, they look fairly good considering the shitty original material I had. But I agree that it has trillions of vectors and the size is big.

Here are the Photoshop files, to someone who wants to give it a shot:

http://rcoltrane.50webs.com/Green%20House.psd
http://rcoltrane.50webs.com/Oil%20Panic.psd

Last edited by RColtrane; 11/11/18 12:21 PM.
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: RColtrane] #114248 11/11/18 12:30 PM
J
Just Desserts Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted by RColtrane
[quote=u-man]after that I ran those png files through an online vectoring tool which do pixel-perfect svg files from raster images, as you correctly presumed. To me, they look fairly good considering the shitty original material I had. But I agree that it has trillions of vectors and the size is big.

The whole point is that you're only supposed to auto-vectorize things that are amenable to being vectorized, like simple line drawings, or photos of LCD segments. You're not supposed to auto-vectorize a photograph of a game case, because it will just produce one "vector" per-pixel, which is as useless as a screen door on a submarine. They look "fairly good" because they're basically still the original photographs: There has been no simplification done. That needs to be done by hand, by an artist.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: Fake Shemp] #114254 11/11/18 08:54 PM
I
ICEknight Offline
I
Originally Posted by Fake Shemp
The idea of having 3D-models is something I like though. I'm a 3D modeller by trade and have long been thinking about making some high quality models of handhelds for use in MAME

Hey, that would be really cool! In case that you attempt to do any of the games with layered backgrounds, just remember to get the individual layers from the link in my sig and separate them a little from each other.

LCD artwork scans and cleanups: https://mega.nz/#F!uFYSzK7S!U-lJon9jsqyoCX_3y7_KLA
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: Just Desserts] #114255 11/11/18 09:23 PM
F
Fake Shemp Offline
F
Originally Posted by Just Desserts
Since you're a 3D modeller by trade, what format would you prefer?

The primary two requirements are that it has to be open and it should preferably have robust support for materials. OBJ at least meets the former of those requirements. FBX meets the latter, but is proprietary as all hell. 3DS, I haven't looked into. What other ones are there?

glTF seems to be a really good format from what I can tell, but of course haven't used it because big companies hate to use anything not Adobe/Autodesk.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #114256 11/11/18 09:35 PM
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
COLLADA has some support in gaming and is supposed to be pretty robust.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #114258 11/11/18 10:34 PM
J
Just Desserts Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
"Some" is an overstatement. glTF seems to more or less be a more modern COLLADA, but its material support being designed around a specific PBR technique, and its enumerated values just being straight-up OpenGL constants just pisses me right off. It seems like Khronos Group are dead-set on making glTF a modern COLLADA in terms of nobody using it, too.

Having said that, so far it's the best-documented modern open model format that anyone has pointed me at so far, and I'm quite partial to JSON myself, so the fact that it's just a JSON hierarchy tickles my fancy. Once my interest in SGI and Sparc machines peters back out, I'll probably have a look at making the BGFX frontend less crap, and also adding glTF support.

Edit: Moreover, glTF seems to have a working exporter for Blender available. That's good, because my 3D artist flatmate uses Blender, and I could probably tap him to export some good test scenes and meshes in order to shake out any bugs.

Page 297 of 331 1 2 295 296 297 298 299 330 331

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (AJR, Dorando, mixmaster, 2 invisible), 145 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,684
Posts114,030
Members4,863
Most Online510
Aug 26th, 2019