Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: c64 super sketch [Re: ICEknight] #116290 10/26/19 07:16 PM
G
Golden Child Offline OP
OP Offline
G
The simplest thing I could think of was to load up mame with -window -numscreens 2 and then go into the video options and choose screen 1 pixel aspect 1:1

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Re: c64 super sketch [Re: Golden Child] #116291 10/27/19 01:52 AM
G
Golden Child Offline OP
OP Offline
G
another thing I haven't tried yet is perhaps setting the screen aspect with screen.set_physical_aspect(3,3)

Re: c64 super sketch [Re: Golden Child] #116292 10/27/19 02:45 AM
G
Golden Child Offline OP
OP Offline
G
In doing research on the Powerpad, it's made me interested in all kinds of AT (Assistive Technology) stuff and I've been reading up on the Adaptive Firmware Card for the Apple II.

https://resna.stanford.edu/TopTen/index.htm#1

In this interview they talk a little bit about the Firmware Card at: http://www.inclusive.co.uk/lib/downloads/adaptive-firmware-card.pdf

PAUL: We... [mingled voices]. Yeah, basically it... it was becoming clear to us, and I think at the time it was becoming clear to everybody, uh, and Gregg Vanderheiden, uh, I remember would talk about this very eloquently, that we needed a way to do transparent access to computers, so that we weren’t just running programs that we’d written for special needs but... but that you could run the... that Kris or Steve could run a computer just like anybody else, and they could do anything with a computer. And at that... at that point in time, um, I remember Gregg was espousing an idea of nested computers -- that you would have two computers, and that one computer would run the special-input routine, um, that was, you know, one or two switches, and it would then send its results to the other computer as if you were using the keyboard.

Um, at the same time, I had been doing a lot of adapting programs, and... and I could... I saw that there were advantages to being able to stay within the... the one computer and to be able to have the routine running alongside the program you were adapting, so that it could use the same display and make use of the same resources -- um, sound and the... and if you had an Echo speech synthesizer it could do that.

And so I began thinking about this problem, and I was trying to find a way to combine these two things: to have transparency but also be able to, um,... to make it seem like you’re just adapting the program that you’re running. And ultimately what I came up with was the Adaptive Firmware Card.

Uh, in effect what the Adaptive Firmware Card did was it sort of turned the Apple II, which was a... a single-tasking machine -- you could only run one program at a time -- it sort of turned it into a multi-tasking machine. It was sort of a poor man’s version of a multi-tasking machine, because you might say it was a double-tasking machine -- you... you could run the program plus the input routine as the second routine -- but it was a circuit board that went in the computer, and the adaptive routine that you wanted to run resided on the... on the card, and the hardware played tricks so that when you wanted to use that routine it would interrupt the... the program that was running, and then it would bring up a scanning array or do Morse code or do whatever was necessary, uh, to allow you to generate text with one or two switches. And that was, um,... and I guess that was... that was something new. And ... and I remember, I don’t know how, but somehow Gregg Vanderheiden found out about this. I can’t remember... I might’ve written a letter to the Trace Center, uh, or there was a contest about that time at Johns Hopkins..

There's a great article in the 1982 Byte with all kinds of technical details and schematics:

https://archive.org/details/byte-magazine-1982-09-rescan/page/n277

https://archive.org/details/byte-magazine-1982-09-rescan/page/n299 is where it talks about how it takes over the Apple II. It's a pretty fascinating read where it emulates keyboard inputs and paddle inputs.

There's also a page where someone gets one running and talks about the history of one switch gaming:

http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/apple-ii-adaptive-firmware-card/

The a2dp has a few docs and pictures:

https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple...0Cards/Other/Adaptive%20Firmware%20Card/

The later ones had an onboard 65816 and 32KB of ram, but the very first ones were mainly EPROM and RAM.

Re: c64 super sketch [Re: Golden Child] #116293 10/27/19 02:14 PM
G
Golden Child Offline OP
OP Offline
G
One thing leads to another and I looked briefly at the Muppet Learning Keys by Koala and I think that this same approach of loading a picture and clicking the mouse could work well with it.

Putting a grid on top of the overlay in gimp makes a perfect alignment.

A little bit of watchpointing the paddles at c064 and c065 and disassembling and we can find the table of the Apple II Muppet discovery disk.

The overlay maps to the table at EF00.

Re: c64 super sketch [Re: Golden Child] #116294 10/27/19 03:40 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
There's a post on Brutal Deluxe's site that explains the Muppet Learning Keys.

https://www.brutaldeluxe.fr/projects/muppet/index.html

Re: c64 super sketch [Re: R. Belmont] #116295 10/27/19 04:50 PM
G
Golden Child Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks, RB! That was just what I needed!

Re: c64 super sketch [Re: Golden Child] #116296 10/27/19 05:38 PM
G
Golden Child Offline OP
OP Offline
G
There's a driver disk for the Muppet Keys for at least the atari that will allow you to use it as a regular keyboard which was a neat concept.

(pictures from atariage)

and a post I found that was interesting:

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (AJR, Pernod, robcfg, Carbon, Lord Nightmare, 2 invisible), 135 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,710
Posts114,489
Members4,869
Most Online510
Aug 26th, 2019