Next Thread
Print Thread
Flickering or Tearing with a specific game (twinsp #116694 01/06/20 04:30 PM
P
Peanut42 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi

I really appreciate all the work that the mame team is doing, but this is something that is bothering me since long time ago (like since the version 0.144 aprox).

I really use mame for one game Twinkle Star Sprites (named twinspri in mame). Since I remember using mame (v0.144) I remember seeing flickering (or tearing) in this game. In that time I used an AMD Athlon x64 3.0 ghz double core machine running Linux. As I never managed to resolve the flickering, I buyed a dedicated graphics card (a simple and decent one, I think) a Nvidia GeForce 8400 (with 256 ram). The previously mentioned game presented flickering or tearing like this:

[Linked Image from rufus.gatuno.mx][Linked Image from rufus.gatuno.mx]

[Linked Image from rufus.gatuno.mx][Linked Image from rufus.gatuno.mx]

I put a red square around the graphic errors. The flickering (or tearing) appears when there is a lot of game objects in the screen, which could happen very often in game.

Recently I changed to a new AMD Ryzen 7 3.6 ghz 16-threads cpu (and keep using Linux) and with the same graphics card. I still can't find the correct configuration to avoid that flickering, because it happens in this new computer.

I'm not asking for a magical "fix", I'm asking if someone knows a good set of mame options that could fix the flickering/tearing in this game. The "wanted" behavior could be to slow down in these frames (better to slow down than the flickering).

Thanks for reading

Re: Flickering or Tearing with a specific game (twinsp [Re: Peanut42] #116695 01/06/20 05:26 PM
F
Fake Shemp Offline
F
Are you using prime?

Re: Flickering or Tearing with a specific game (twinsp [Re: Peanut42] #116696 01/06/20 06:34 PM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
This is just the game taking too long to update it's own spritelist, and tearing as a result. This happens on quite a few NeoGeo games, and in the cases we've seen it the tearing happens on real hardware too.

The NeoGeo hardware is generally underpowered, the 68k isn't fast enough for the number of sprites it can draw, so sometimes it takes too long to refresh the list.

Last edited by Haze; 01/06/20 06:34 PM.
Re: Flickering or Tearing with a specific game (twinsp [Re: Haze] #116701 01/07/20 03:29 AM
P
Peanut42 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Fake Shemp
Are you using prime?

What is prime?

Originally Posted by Haze
This is just the game taking too long to update it's own spritelist, and tearing as a result. This happens on quite a few NeoGeo games, and in the cases we've seen it the tearing happens on real hardware too.

The NeoGeo hardware is generally underpowered, the 68k isn't fast enough for the number of sprites it can draw, so sometimes it takes too long to refresh the list.

Really? This is taking me by surprise. I have played like two or three "pirate" arcade machines where it doesn't happen as in mame. I mean, even in these "good" machines, the sprites glitches, but no so quick as the screenshoted "game match".

Maybe the other option, slow down to prevent tearing? Is even possible?

I really can't believe that this happens on real neo geo hardware.

Re: Flickering or Tearing with a specific game (twinsp [Re: Peanut42] #116702 01/07/20 04:29 AM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Neo Geo hardware is well known for glitches, actually. It wasn't particularly good hardware when it shipped in 1988, let alone 10 years later when games were still being made for it.

Pirate machines have less accurate NG emulation (usually FBA or earlier versions of MAME), so this is a case where the glitches are because we behave more like the real hardware.

Re: Flickering or Tearing with a specific game (twinsp [Re: R. Belmont] #116708 01/09/20 05:28 PM
P
Peanut42 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Looks like I'm missing the main point here: Mame emulates the game the most accurate. And 'accurate' means glitches.

Just to mention this as off-topic. Recently, several neo geo games were ported to Switch, as 'emulated' games. The tearing issues appear too in the switch version of this game. I even 'think' that the switch version is a pirated version of mame.

Last edited by Peanut42; 01/09/20 05:33 PM.
Re: Flickering or Tearing with a specific game (twinsp [Re: Peanut42] #116709 01/10/20 12:45 AM
F
Firehawke Offline
F
Most of the Arcade Archives stuff is by Gotch Technology, who has a pretty solid reputation. I rather doubt they're using MAME code wholesale, especially after Hamster previously got caught doing so in the PS2 era.

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (robcfg, AJR, R. Belmont, judge, RomKnight, 1 invisible), 260 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,734
Posts114,832
Members4,879
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020