Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Atari 5200 [Re: Shoegazer] #116719 01/13/20 02:02 AM
Tafoid Offline
Originally Posted by Shoegazer
Did some more extensive plumbing of the a5200 driver with many titles in the softlist and found a good majority of them (maybe 75%) are way off, some unplayably broken. Even older versions of "Atari800 Emulator" emulate the same titles much better.

Checking mame's dev log, it seems the last time anyone did heavy lifting on the driver was back in the 0.36 era (Juergen Buchmueller - now there's a blast from the past). Given such history, as RB suggested a new challenger isn't likely to appear - so I'm wondering if consideration might be given to bump the driver status from good to imperfect or even preliminary? It may not be great in mame but at least it could be tagged appropriately.

At the very least, if you have hand-tested all the softlist roms through MAME and are able to identify those which seem to work ok, partially work (boot but major issues prevent decent play), don't even boot at all (hang emulator/crash MAME), that data can be used to update the softlist with proper "Supported" flags.

Re: Atari 5200 [Re: Shoegazer] #116725 01/13/20 06:21 PM
S
Shoegazer Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks Taf, so not all softlist roms tested but a-c at least, which I've summarized in this mametesters report. Feel free to modify the report as you see fit. I did get a few titles to work since my post above, as some actually start with the number pad which I hadn't previously realized (though it makes sense considering the host platform). Although, that still leaves only about 50% of the titles as actually playable which I think could be more accurately be documented as "imperfect" or "preliminary" status of the driver overall.

I also noticed this separate issue report providing exhaustive test suite results that also seem to support the need to bump status down.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 69 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,784
Posts115,581
Members4,908
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020