Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
I was talking a bit on Discord about how to handle analogue DRM, like codewheels and manual lookups and such. These are basically too large to document entirely in the usage field in a softlist, but without them the software will be unusable.

So I asked the question if these should be included in the softlists, and it seems the consensus is no. I can understand that, as they're not software, but I don't think they should be left to some manual webpages on the internet to document. These pages will rot as we all know they do.

I was linked this discussion and as far as I can tell, the thing to do is to create some thing like a softlist but for auxillary files. But no one seems to want to work on it.

Well, I don't mind working on it. So I think we need some discussion about what exactly this system needs to do and how it should work, hence this thread.

One thing I would like to avoid for a start is relying on external sources like archive.org or something. We need to have a hash-based system where we can store these files locally.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
That's optimistic of you, my takeaway from the linked "discussion" is that we don't want anything to do with metadata that isn't directly applicable to making the software run.

F
OP Offline
F
Okay then. So it's dead before even talking about it.

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
I still feel ignoring it is entirely irresponsible.

Sometimes it's important to step up.

A
AJR Online Content
Online Content
A
One somewhat ambitious idea I just had about protection manuals/code sheets is to process them as external artwork through custom layouts, with Lua scripts that automatically display whichever page is requested at the moment the game requests it.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
AJR: that's cool, but it's also exactly the endless hole of work that Vas warned about.

A lot of this seems more like stuff MobyGames should be doing, but they aren't AFAIK.

X
X
Vas Crabb already pointed it out in the original discussion but this is not emulation related. You want to preserve what is ancillary work to proper video games. And actually there are already such projects like the various MAME EXTRAs, the more stable one being what is provided by Antopisa at progetto-SNAPS.

Within MAME itself, you already got to see some arcade cabinet graphical layouts associated with arcade games. This is already quite out of line with proper machine emulation.
Moreover, what you describe isn't only what's missing. I mean MAME is missing information about how to launch games on old computers. If you never used a particular old computer at the time, it's impossible to launch a game on it without going to fetch third-party information about what were the common commands of the internal command line interpreter.

MAME do have an internal UI that can display those MAME EXTRAs since at least 2016-2017, maybe some people could lead and curate a standard set of MAME EXTRAs the same way it's already done for software lists?

S
Online Content
S
Originally Posted by xinyingho
Vas Crabb already pointed it out in the original discussion but this is not emulation related. You want to preserve what is ancillary work to proper video games. And actually there are already such projects like the various MAME EXTRAs, the more stable one being what is provided by Antopisa at progetto-SNAPS.

Yes, I was going to also suggest that Fake Shemp consider working with AntoPISA at ProgettoSNAPs. While non-arcade hasn't always been his focus, he's done a really good job of embracing it. He already has a arcade manual collection and I am pretty sure he is building a non-arcade manual collection including manual collections for software, which he has already made available in their work-in-progress state.

He even usually has a "hash file" already - he's used to using ClrMamePro-style DAT files to help users validate their collections.

He's not normally on Github, Bannister.org, IRC, Discord or Reddit but he is often available at MAMEWorld Forums and by email.

MAME do have an internal UI that can display those MAME EXTRAs since at least 2016-2017, maybe some people could lead and curate a standard set of MAME EXTRAs the same way it's already done for software lists?

Well, I am pretty sure we haven't incorporated a PDF viewer, uh, yet... JPG or PNG should be fine though. Not sure if the internal UI can yet handle displaying it mid-emulation execution?. And you'd really need to add yet another UI item category with according path options, etc. and I am not sure how much that would be approved of...

I'd generally approve of a proper team for what's known as MAME EXTRAS (it's typically a lot of lone wolves such as AntoPISA though he has a few helpers he communicates with) but it's typically not formally considered to be a part of the MAME project proper. (Not that that couldn't change but it would require more discussion.)

X
X
Originally Posted by Stiletto
Well, I am pretty sure we haven't incorporated a PDF viewer, uh, yet... JPG or PNG should be fine though. Not sure if the internal UI can yet handle displaying it mid-emulation execution?. And you'd really need to add yet another UI item category with according path options, etc. and I am not sure how much that would be approved of...

Well, the internal UI is just an evolution of the initial simple game browser available since around 2007. So, yeah, it does support some stuff but not everything from those MAME EXTRAs.

I personally find this internal UI to have become a bad mix between media F/E and desktop F/E. That's why I started my own F/E that fits my own tastes. But well, this internal UI still gets better with each MAME iterations.

Originally Posted by Stiletto
I'd generally approve of a proper team for what's known as MAME EXTRAS (it's typically a lot of lone wolves such as AntoPISA though he has a few helpers he communicates with) but it's typically not formally considered to be a part of the MAME project proper.

Yes, it's not a good thing to have lone wolves handling this kind of projects. I mean AntoPISA never disappointed: month after month, for several years, he has updated his set and still is. But this means that, the day he won't be able to go on, it'll become a dead project...

For all the video previews, he's not alone and works with motoschifo. There may be other people with who he works on those Italian forums. It would be a good thing to get his point of view on the question.

S
Online Content
S
There may be other people with who he works on those Italian forums. It would be a good thing to get his point of view on the question.

Yes, for all I know, he's built up a little team of his own.

Oh, before I forget - AntoPISA has a DAT file (somewhat structured text) for mainly arcade games that need extra steps in game initialization. It's at http://www.progettosnaps.net/gameinit/ and MAME's internal frontend supports it, plus a few external frontends. To reorient this idea towards software lists would require some frontend work too, and probably a fork of his project, though maybe he'd be willing to help.

His software manual collections are at http://www.progettosnaps.net/softwareresources/
DAT files (hash files) are available from there and also http://www.progettosnaps.net/dats/

[EDIT] For what it's worth, I'm not sure how his collections differ from "MAME EXTRAS", I'm not certain that they do.

Last edited by Stiletto; 04/25/20 06:27 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Richard Bannister), 40 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,880
Posts116,792
Members4,961
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com