Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MAME's linux folder structure #117179 04/15/20 03:22 PM
cjspizz Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all. I could use some help understanding the MAME linux (Ubuntu-based) folder structure better. In Windows, everything goes in the MAME folder, e.g. C:\MAME\. In contrast, in Linux Mint, I find the following:

• /usr/games [MAME binary location]
  • ~/.mame ["Core Output"/settings folders, i.e. cfg, diff, nvram, sta, ui, and the files ui.ini and mame.ini]
  • /etc/mame [config files, including another mame.ini]
  • /usr/share/games/mame AND some are also in /usr/local/share/games/mame [support file folders, e.g. artwork, cheat, samples, etc.]

A couple questions:

• Why are there two mame.ini files? Which one should I edit when I need to make changes?
  • The ui.ini file references support file folders that don't exist, but that I'd like to create, e.g. "marquees_directory [TAB] marquees". In Windows, that means the "marquees" folder goes in MAME's 'root' folder, i.e. C:\MAME\marquees\. There's no such MAME root folder for linux, so where is ui.ini looking for these folders?

The mame.ini and ui.ini files seem to read like they're operating in a Windows environment, and I could really use help understanding how to interpret them for linux.

if ( hasFever() ) {
return ((Cowbell) Prescription.getInstance ())++;
}
Re: MAME's linux folder structure [Re: cjspizz] #117180 04/15/20 03:37 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
I'm guessing that's a distro packaged MAME rather than a self-compile, because that's definitely not how MAME is set up by default.

Regardless of that, everything comes from mame.ini, so you can edit mame.ini to point to whatever you'd like (on my system, the rom folders point to an NFS network drive, for example).

Re: MAME's linux folder structure [Re: cjspizz] #117264 04/25/20 05:27 PM
D
Doc Flareon Offline
D
/etc/mame/mame.ini is the system-wide default copy of the settings file. ~/.mame/mame.ini is your personal version of the file, which will overrule the system-wide version.

If you don't give the full path name, mame will default to $HOME/marquees

Re: MAME's linux folder structure [Re: cjspizz] #117275 04/26/20 07:52 PM
M
mochamame Offline
M
I don't know about you, but I'm using the C.Falco PPA in Ubuntu and the way they set up the defaults is a little bit confusing because you don't always have write permissions to the directories outside of your /home/. To avoid all these problems my /etc/mame/mame.ini file only has one line in it:

Code
inipath                  $HOME/.mame

That way it always points to the .mame directory in my home.

Another trick I've learned is don't mess with the defaults for hashpath, fontpath, plugins, or languagepath. The files in those directories are version dependent and everything gets screwed up if you have those directories pointing to something that doesn't get updated with each release. Copy over those paths over from the /etc/mame/mame.ini file.

One final trick since I've started using the default UI more these days; rename the /etc/mame/ui.ini file to something else, and then create a new ui.ini file under your /home/xxx/.mame/ directory and use that file to define all of your UI search path options.

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AJR), 67 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,775
Posts115,464
Members4,899
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020