Next Thread
Print Thread
Any easy way to draw text on a bitmap? #117896 09/22/20 06:33 PM
G
Golden Child Online Content OP
OP Online Content
G
Hi guys,

I was wondering if there's an easy way to draw text on a bitmap.

There's a function in luaengine.cpp that looks like it could be used but I'm having trouble with the includes and wanted something that wouldn't depend on ui.
Code
screen_dev_type.set("draw_text", [this](screen_device &sdev, sol::object xobj, float y, const char *msg, sol::object color, sol::object bcolor) {

mame_machine_manager::instance()->ui().draw_text_full(sdev.container(), msg, x, y, (1.0f - x),
			justify, ui::text_layout::WORD, mame_ui_manager::OPAQUE_, textcolor, bgcolor);
		});

I'm not particular about the font, just something that's readable to indicate status.

I suppose I could just load a rom character set and use that...

Last edited by Golden Child; 09/22/20 06:34 PM.
Re: Any easy way to draw text on a bitmap? [Re: Golden Child] #117897 09/22/20 06:37 PM
J
Just Desserts Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
That would require a library for parsing "normal" fonts (as opposed to the custom BDF format that MAME uses) and rasterizing them to glyphs. Don't think we can do that.

Re: Any easy way to draw text on a bitmap? [Re: Golden Child] #117898 09/22/20 07:31 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
We actually *do* rasterize fonts (both BDF and TrueType) to glyphs though. It's just that nothing outside of the UI uses them right now.

Re: Any easy way to draw text on a bitmap? [Re: Just Desserts] #117899 09/22/20 08:02 PM
Vas Crabb Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted by Just Desserts
That would require a library for parsing "normal" fonts (as opposed to the custom BDF format that MAME uses) and rasterizing them to glyphs. Don't think we can do that.

BDF isn’t custom, it’s a published standard from Adobe. It must be close to 40 years old now. And yeah, what ArBee said. Depending on the target MAME can rasterise fonts for the UI. On Linux, BSD, etc. where there’s no font server as such it uses an SDL library to handle TrueType fonts directly. On Windows it can use Win32 or DirectWrite, and on macOS it uses CoreText. Of course, MAME’s approach to fonts is dumb. It rasterises characters at a fixed size and then scales them, so hinting doesn’t work, and it can’t deal with combining characters at all.

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Vas Crabb), 46 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,818
Posts116,083
Members4,915
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020