Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 374 of 395 1 2 372 373 374 375 376 394 395
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
From the manual it can do both, but it's not clear how you choose the mode.

B
B
While there doesn't seem to be a test pin on the 6301Y, there is a register called "TSTREG" at address 1F noted the datasheet with the information "Register for test. Don't access this register". I'm wondering what it would do if poked from external-memory mode. I think it's unlikely, but possible, that this could enable switching chip modes or some other useful functionality.

A
A
Awesome news on Football II, that was a huge part of my childhood. Do we have dumps of the original Football as well?

BTW, also very impressed with your built-in layouts for the Mattel sports games. I still regret using XML for that. 😜

H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Yeah, Sean has decapped/extracted the ROM of Football(1) and the other pre-PPS4/1 Mattel ones.

B6000 = Auto Race
B6001 = Missile Attack / Battlestar Galactica

B6100 = Football
B6101 = Baseball
B6102 = Gravity

B60xx = 512 bytes ROM, 45 nibbles RAM
B61xx = 896 bytes ROM, 48 nibbles RAM

R
Rik Offline
R
Does the 2 character code after 'B6100' mean anything? I have a Mattel football that has this on the chip:
B6100 EA 7748
And another with this:
B6100-15 8021

(The 1980 one has a slightly different display- round blips... But just noting that the 2-digit code changed... Maybe just manufacturing 'lot codes' or something?)

Last edited by Rik; 03/23/21 11:53 PM.
H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Yeah, must be lot code.
Sean's Football chip: B6100EB 7844

The one from 1980 has revised hardware I guess.

R
Rik Offline
R
I've only ever seen one other one with the round blips... Might have been the last version they made, I'm actually surprised they were still making the first version in 1980 with Football II already out (and even the big Championship FB out that same year...)

J
J
First off, this is my first post - I registered just for this...

This is for @hap and @Rik mainly: I wanted to thank you both for taking the mystery out of that RS Sound Effects Chassis PCB.

As a kid, decades ago, I purchased one of them, and played around with it a bit, but didn't know what to make of it - so it got stuck in a drawer, rarely looked at again.

Recently, I thought it might make a good "fake brain" for an 80's style DIY robot (something I'm considering building) - so I dug in my junk pile, because I was sure I still had it. Tonight I found it, but I had no idea if it worked - and I couldn't recall how to hook it up. Some googling brought me to this site, and eventually I found everything I needed - and the explanation of what the board originally was from!

I recall this board as being one of those Radio Shack "specials" - kinda part of their "grab bag" items - strange one-off surplus junk they'd package up, and use it to lure geeks into the store, hoping you'd maybe buy a bunch of extra junk you didn't need while you were there. Inevitably, you did...

I kinda grew up going to Radio Shack - and my first computer came from there (TRS-80 Color Computer 2 - I still have it, and a bunch of other CoCo stuff - and yes, I know that MESS supports it)...

Anyhow - thanks again. I'm really impressed with what you all are doing in this "space" for MESS - getting it to emulate old LCD and LED games and such - just amazing!

PS: Something I haven't looked into - does MESS support any of the old Tomy electromechanical games? I mean, I know that MESS is mainly for arcade, electronic, computer, etc - emulation...but I just wonder how far that extends (of course, then you'd have to ask about certain other even older electromechanical games...)

R
Rik Offline
R
Originally Posted by junkbotix
PS: Something I haven't looked into - does MESS support any of the old Tomy electromechanical games? I mean, I know that MESS is mainly for arcade, electronic, computer, etc - emulation...but I just wonder how far that extends (of course, then you'd have to ask about certain other even older electromechanical games...)

No, as there's nothing to 'emulate' in those games. They just have a motor in them, and a light or two, everything is controlled by gears and other mechanical bits... So nothing for MAME to emulate unfortunately.

H
hap Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
"Sound Effects Chassis" was a funny one, it was acquired/dumped by kevtris by the way, not Rik.

There are very few electromechanical handhelds/tabletops that have an MCU/CPU.
The only one I can think of is Marx Electronic Bowling, it uses a TMS1100. And that thing is huge, would you categorize it as a 'handheld' Rik? ;D

Page 374 of 395 1 2 372 373 374 375 376 394 395

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 49 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,070
Posts118,940
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com