Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
gspat Online Sleepy OP
OP Online Sleepy
G
Trying to use this tutorial from Mameworld emuchat: https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=news&Number=380959

The networking is still a WIP and is a little convoluted to setup.

Here are the steps I used to link two instances of Rush the Rock on one windows computer
1) Install openvpn link (https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/)
2) Browse to C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin
3) Right click on addtap.bat and select run as administrator
4) Right click on addtap.bat and select run as administrator
5) Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
6) Right click on the adapter "TAP-Windows Adapter V9 #2" and select rename. Name to mame-tap1
7) Right click on the adapter "TAP-Windows Adapter V9 #3" and select rename. Name to mame-tap2
Select both mame-tap1 and mame-tap2 and right click and select bridge connections. I get an error message here.
9) Right click on the ethernet bridge and select properties. Make sure mame-tap1 and mame-tap2 have checkboxes selected in the top window

10) Start sfrushrk in the first directory and then exit mame after the rush the rock splash screen appears.
11) Start sfrushrk in the second directory and then change the serial number in the dip switches to something other than 6.
12) For the second sfrushrk enter service mode and change the car color from red to something else. Exit mame.
13) Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the first directory. In the network area change so that interface="1" .
14) Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the second directory. In the network area change so that interface="2" .
15) Start the two instances of mame sfrushrk in the two separate directories.
Done!

In order to network over one lan you would need to bridge the mame tap adapter to your ethernet card.

My understanding is that I have to have two separate instances of MAME running, with their own copies of all the files and that the second instance requires a bit of setup to make it unique from the first... Not a problem, that's the easy part

I run into a bit of a problem at step 2...

I have no "TAP-Windows\bin" folder... actually, I have no "TAP-Windows" folder either, just "OpenVPN" that was installed at step 1 (Windows 64-bit)
Carefully going through the files and folders in the "OpenVPN" folder, I see I don't have the addtap.bat file either.

I've uninstalled and re-installed OpenVPN to ensure I installed everything the installer options wanted to spit out, just in case the default install was lacking something, but no joy to me.

Is there a different, possibly more up-to-date tutorial I can follow for setting up the virtual networking to make this work (It's from 2019, so possibly the installer is different in 2021?) or am I just an idiot who can't fathom directions?

W
W
Go to the windows start menu to folder OpenVPN and than call "Add a new TAP-Windows6 virtual network adapter" twice.

Last edited by wolfi; 09/11/21 01:27 PM.
H
H
Originally Posted by wolfi
Go to the windows start menu to folder OpenVPN and than call "Add a new TAP-Windows6 virtual network adapter" twice.
The number of TAP adapters (and separate mame directories) needed depends on how much instances of Mame you want to run linked on a single computer. The maximum amount of instances any game can link is 8 (San Francisco Rush games and Road Burners) so eight tap adapters are required for a single instance (and bridged too; not that it would happen because that would require too much processing power).

There are other crazy combinations and situations to this too. Linking two computers would only one tap adapter connected to your computer's ethernet port. It may be possible to link two computers with two instances of Mame each (four total) by bridging the two Tap Adapters and said ethernet port for both machines.

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted by Hydreigon
The maximum amount of instances any game can link is 8 (San Francisco Rush games and Road Burners)

Nine. 8-car Virtua Racing plus the announcer.

G
gspat Online Sleepy OP
OP Online Sleepy
G
Didn't even think of checking in the start menu... Dumbness showing through!

Next thing is the cfg wants to reset the adapter number after each run to "-1"?

Should I be setting the cfg to read-only?

W
W
Old, but works for me.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161667.0.html

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 46 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,981
Posts117,966
Members5,003
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com