Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Haze
you'll need to recompress it properly with CHDMAN as SHA1 info isn't stored for uncompressed drives.
So how do I do that?

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.
H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
it's been a while, but I think you can just use chdman copy -i blah.chd -o blahcompressed.chd

you might have to specify a compression type with -c so -c zlib ?

Originally Posted by Haze
it's been a while, but I think you can just use chdman copy -i blah.chd -o blahcompressed.chd
Thanks, nice and simple.

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.
=
=
Oh yes. At its time, the Archie was the only homecomputer that Amiga users did not mock about. (Atari ST was considered a bad joke and 386ers ridiculously overpriced and jerky). Archie had to do many things in software where Amiga had dedicated hardware, so at least for 2D games in real life both performed similar. Unfortunately it did not sell well outside Britain; In Germany I only remember 2 shops (the Brinkmann technology shopping center and a small store for electronic components) that had an Archimedes (A3000?) to try out, so most of us saw it only reviewed in computer magazines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Archimedes

Exciting is that ARM CPUs (now found in every tablet and brainfryer) directly originated from Acorn Archimedes, and 1990th models were already SoC based, i.e. Raspberry Pi can be rated a direct Archie successor, and the RISC OS for it is still maintained. I read about it and like the philosophy (still very homecomputer, i.e. can run completely from RAM/ROM without swapping to disk, built-in BASIC, high CPU efficiency, no multiuser complications etc.) which sounds great for data minimisation to avoid data vampires and factory-prebugged devices. To me this feels right! - like the true native OS for RasPi. The mouse use paradigms differ from Windoze-like OS, but that's because it is older than Win95, and likely not designed for proper webbrowsing. But for a small separate offline machine it makes sense. May be its time to get a RasPi with enough RAM in a shielded case to flip the bird to all those data ticks sucking in the background of nowadays always-online IT.

Last edited by =CO=Windler; 11/15/21 05:46 AM.

MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU!

{weltenschule.de}
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,993
Posts118,152
Members5,005
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com