Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bobz Offline OP
OP Offline
This thread is to advertise a little hack I made as a workaround for SDL input limitation (especially in Linux)

It allows to use multiple mice with one MAME instance (using other computers mice) in Linux.
It allows to use the same keyboard on several instances of MAME in Linux.
It allows to use several joysticks/wheels with multiple MAME instance.

It's here: https://github.com/Bob-Z/NetInput

Note that I haven't tested it on Windows yet, but since it is written in LUA and Python it should be compatible.

I hope this will be helpful.

Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
Why did you write it as an autoboot script rather than a plugin? If you wrote it as a plugin you could have provided a configuration UI like the autofire and input macro plugins do rather than relying on the user writing JSON files and setting environment variables.

Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
Also, I need a way to slap people over the interwebz if people keep using the human-readable names of fields as identifiers. They aren’t stable, they can be changed on-the-fly by scripts, they change depending on the UI language. It’s not perfect, but the (port tag, mask, type) tuple used in MAME’s .cfg files as well as by the autofire and input macro plugins is a far better identifier than the highly unstable display name.

bobz Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the feedback !

I used environment variables to be able to use scripts to run several MAME instances with different IP/port configurations. Anyway, I agree that adding a menu to choose this might be more user friendly.

JSON files are for the python client so they can't take advantage of MAME's UI.

As for the field's names, I used them because I wasn't aware of cfg files tuple. I will take the risk of being slapped, but human-readable names seems more user friendly. I should let users choose between quick and dirty human-readable name or clean and stable tuple.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
The tuple will work for all languages and locale settings, which on Linux is always important smile

Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted by bobz
I used environment variables to be able to use scripts to run several MAME instances with different IP/port configurations. Anyway, I agree that adding a menu to choose this might be more user friendly.
You can run several instances of MAME with different plugin data directories using the -homepath option. It’s also generally a good idea to use different NVRAM directories if you’re running multiple instances of MAME at the same time.

JSON files are for the python client so they can't take advantage of MAME's UI.
If the user has to create/edit those JSON files at all, you’ve already failed on user-friendliness. If they can’t select a suitable input from a menu, it’s already well into “no-one will use this” territory.

As for the field's names, I used them because I wasn't aware of cfg files tuple. I will take the risk of being slapped, but human-readable names seems more user friendly. I should let users choose between quick and dirty human-readable name or clean and stable tuple.
If the configuration breaks by changing the display language, it’s not user-friendly. If it relies on being able to type something from a visually ambiguous string, it’s not user-friendly. Consider things like consecutive spaces (used in the generated names for keyboard inputs), multiplication symbol vs letter x, currency symbols, and visually-similar letters.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Vas Crabb, box), 29 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,993
Posts118,151
Members5,005
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com