Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
The actual sizes of the laserdisc CHDs should be the same as the existing ones, it's just the captures will be better quality.

J
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
[video:youtube]
[/video]

3 members like this: MrBogi, Darkstar, zillion
K
kmg Offline
K
Since I've made a few posts about NES APU bug fixes recently in this thread I thought I might add there was one more fix that's in the soon-to-be-released 0.242. Like the triangle channel, DPCM samples were also being played back with a heck of a lot of popping/clicking. Hopefully most of it is gone now. As an example, here's a recent recording bobz posted that is before the fix: [video:youtube]
[/video].
Popping sounds are all related to the drum samples. Compare with mame nes boynblobu in top of tree or with the upcoming release.

C
C
Very cool laserdisc work! Working from raw captures is super impressive.

I couldn't help but notice some strong dot crawl artifacts, e.g. on horizontal and vertical lines in the SEGA logo at 1:36. It's a bit surprising given that this is a near-static image and ld-decode has a 3d comb filter.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
The encoded signal on LaserDiscs is NTSC, so ld-decode is limited in how much it can make it look better.

J
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted by cgwg
Very cool laserdisc work! Working from raw captures is super impressive.

I couldn't help but notice some strong dot crawl artifacts, e.g. on horizontal and vertical lines in the SEGA logo at 1:36. It's a bit surprising given that this is a near-static image and ld-decode has a 3d comb filter.

It has one, but it defaults to a 2D comb filter by default for NTSC sources.

A (somewhat outdated) list of tweakable knobs for ld-chroma-decoder can be found in the appropriate section here: https://github.com/happycube/ld-decode/wiki/ld-decode-tools

However, the --decoder option defaulting to "automatic" is no longer accurate (judging from the source, it defaults to ntsc2d for NTSC sources). There are also now parameters for modifying the padding amount (it defaults to 8), and adjusting the first and last active frame and field lines, in order to output the VBI-containing lines as well.

Two additional Time Traveler captures from the same mastering run surfaced this past weekend, which is the minimum needed for median stacking, so at some point in the near future I'm going to have to run them through the pipeline. It would be good to have the ideal settings nailed down for when I get around to that, just so that the update to the CHD can be one-and-done, rather than having people perpetually redownloading a 15GB CHD with each incremental improvement. smile

The ld-decode project has a Discord server, it would be great if you'd join so that we can confer on the best possible settings.

K
kmg Offline
K
Here's a sampling of recent NES additions. From the homebrew and oddities department:

[Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com]
software name: abbaye, assimil, tysonipp

And from the fixed and or added Chinese department:

[Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com]
software name: chengji, chongwbb, datangf6, dishit, firembc, firembgcc

1 member likes this: Justin
K
kmg Offline
K
...and more fixed or added Chinese games:

[Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com] [Linked Image from imgur.com]
software name: jxqy, qitiands, qiwang, tmlxj, tstd3, wumingcs, zgdaheng, zhentian

1 member likes this: Robbbert
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Exelvision EXL-100 gets a keyboard at last

[Linked Image from messui.1emulation.com]

This game is called GUPPY. Something like pacman with each level having a different maze, and there's only one enemy.
The keyboard is diabolical though, and I believe the original machine was like that.

2 members like this: mixmaster, Pernod
Online Mad
In Xavix2 news, sprite scaling was partially reverse-engineered for the purposes of ltv_naru's title screen. Monkey brain pattern recognition is gud :P

[Linked Image from user-images.githubusercontent.com]

AFAICT, the last thing needed to perfect this title screen rendering is better CRTC emulation, and also pointer input.

1 member likes this: R. Belmont
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (robcfg, AJR, exidyboy, Stick, 1 invisible), 30 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,069
Posts118,921
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com