Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
F
The NVRam folder is usually stored in the well, nvram folder in your MAME directory. Then it makes a new folder for the driver you're using - in this case ct486 - and sticks the nvram in there.

When I was experimenting with trying to install Windows on a system, I realized that MAME always uses the same folder for the cmos settings, regardless of how you configure your system in the command line. So if you run a configuration type, save the cmos data, and restart it with the same configuration, it works. but if you try to run a completely different configuration... it'll keep using the old cmos data, and stuff will break.

So I overrode the nvram directory settings in the command line. This is what I used in what I was working on:

mame ct486 -ramsize 16M -board3:ide:ide:1 cdrom -flop1 "F:\Roms\Emulators\Arcade\MAME\software\w95stest\win98boot.ima" -hard1 software\w95stest\w95stest.chd -nvram_directory software\w95stest\

Just change the nvram_directory value to another folder you want and you should be okay. Hope I made sense.

S
stef-ux Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately adding the -nvram_directory path (-nvram_directory ./nvram, or -nvram_directory nvram) didn't work.

At boot I get a "CMOS size mismatch error" followed by "press F1 to resume"; supposedly it loads the default data and when I customize them, they keep in memory if I reboot but don't get saved _permanently_.

So when I boot the machine from scratch I have to insert my data every time.

F
F
In that case, I would suggest going nuclear on the ini file. Make a copy, run mame with -cc so a new one is generated, copy your old settings to this new one, and try again.

And this time, try to use a specific folder name to store your emulated PC's nvram file. Something like -nvram_directory testpc.Load your PC, save settings, reset system, check bios settings again, shut down, and verify that the nvram was actually written to the hard drive.

Edit: The reason I suggest nuking your ini file is that I had a lot of issues with several games and snapshots that were caused by an ancient, outdated ini file that MAME considered valid for some reason. I had to rebuild it to get something that worked right.

Last edited by Foxhack; 01/09/22 10:56 PM.
S
stef-ux Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Foxhack
In that case, I would suggest going nuclear on the ini file. Make a copy, run mame with -cc

I had already done, a new ini file has been created in a local directory.

so a new one is generated, copy your old settings to this new one, and try again.

And this time, try to use a specific folder name to store your emulated PC's nvram file.

As well, I had created a new nvram directory with a different name.

Something like -nvram_directory testpc.Load your PC, save settings, reset system, check bios settings again, shut down, and verify that the nvram was actually written to the hard drive.

Edit: The reason I suggest nuking your ini file is that I had a lot of issues with several games and snapshots that were caused by an ancient, outdated ini file that MAME considered valid for some reason. I had to rebuild it to get something that worked right.

Even adding the -inipath option to address mame to the new customized ini file doesn't give any results.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Is the ct486 directory created in the nvram directory when you cleanly exit MAME?

S
stef-ux Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by R. Belmont
Is the ct486 directory created in the nvram directory when you cleanly exit MAME?

Yes if using the default local mame.ini.
No if I modify such ini file changing the directory name and making that dir by myself.

S
stef-ux Offline OP
OP Offline
S
EDIT: performing the command:

mame ct486 -hard w95_512.chd -rp /home/web/mameh/ -ramsize 32M -window

the only way I've found to exit mame is killing its process.

I don't know how that can be considered a "clean exit", but it's the only thing I can do and after that no directory gets created or updated.

I've deleted the old directories to start from scratch and have run "mame -createconfig" again, and that's what I've found.

And since I'm keeping my VMs in separate directories I'd rather not to have a mame.ini into each of them.

H
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
killing the process is your problem. scrlock toggles the UI keys being enabled, press scrlock then press ESC to exit cleanly, otherwise nothing is saved, no.

1 member likes this: Foxhack
S
stef-ux Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Haze
killing the process is your problem. scrlock toggles the UI keys being enabled, press scrlock then press ESC to exit cleanly, otherwise nothing is saved, no.

Ignorance is my problem.Thank you so much for educating me. smile
It worked.

2 members like this: Just Desserts, R. Belmont
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (gspat, 1 invisible), 23 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,018
Posts118,430
Members5,010
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com