Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
OP Offline
G

G
OP Offline
G
I'm still perplexed what the "secret" is on level 1 of PAM's The Dream. For fun, I thought I'd see what happens when you poke some of the screen memory with the debugger.

So if I write a bunch of FFs in, I can make horizontal platforms. I'm only putting them in one screen of the double buffer so it flickers and you'll "drop" when it disappears temporarily.
However, it's enough that you'll catch a line while you're falling and you can springboard off of them.

Screen memory for level 1 starts at 1000, around 1870 is into the banner.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What's actually kind of cool is that poking into the screen memory will affect the path of the billiard balls too.

This also explains why your character drops down when you are standing on the platform and the Eggle moves underneath you, it's changing the screen colors from the color of the platform to another "non-platform" color. This is also why you can "walk" or "jump" on top of the eggle as it has platform colors as part of it.

So after moving all over the screen, I don't think it's tied to your character being on any screen location.

G
OP Offline
G
Okay, I think I figured it out. If you jump down to the platform where the eggle goes back and forth, then jump on the eggle while moving right, then jump on the spring going right, then there's a glitch which makes a bunch of junk on the screen. I'm guessing that's what's meant by "PM madness" (Player Missile sprites)

This screenshot is from the atari800 emulator under linux (ubuntu):
(I've overlaid the jump sequence)

This screenshot is from mame after doing the glitch:

It seems cosmetic and doesn't seem to affect gameplay.

I was trying all kinds of things: jumping down to the stack of pool balls. Trying to jumping on a pool ball in the air. Pulling the switch and trying to get to where the steam pot is before Max shoots up. "Walking" on top of the eggle. Jumping on the eggle and trying to climb on the banner. Jumping up and down on the banner attachments a bunch of times. Trying to pull the switches out of sequence. Trying to jump down on the banner where it has a band in the word TD since it looks like a platform. Trying to "catch" the banner while falling and pressing the jump button.

Last edited by Golden Child; 04/21/22 01:48 PM.
K
kmg Offline
K
FYI, Pondering About Max's has been added to the software list.

G
OP Offline
G
Awesome! Thanks, kmg!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (R. Belmont, box), 25 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,074
Posts118,964
Members5,014
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com