Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
There's a recent demoscene production for the Portfolio that's reasonably well done:

2 members like this: robcfg, Walker
W
W
If nobody else volunteers I will probably try the povided rom dumps from that guy and try to adapt the existing portfolio device to that prototype, sadly there is not a lot of software for it as it never came to market.

It also seems to miss the expansion port, not sure what they planned as alternative inside
(someone mentioned pcmcia, but on a system without protected mode that would not make a lot of sense to me, though i am not too deep into the specs if this capability would have been mandatory to pcmcia)

Amazing Demo you found

I downloaded and checked its compatibility with Mame 0.246

plus:
gfx part works

minus
missing sound completely in mame

i noticed that indeed sound does not seem to be emulated yet in mame, maybe the info from that smfx guy helps to implement something on that front laugh ?

Last edited by Walker; 08/26/22 09:28 PM.
F
Folly Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by R. Belmont
There's a recent demoscene production for the Portfolio that's reasonably well done:

Very cool !

I added the conversion here :
https://github.com/FollyMaddy/creat...main/legal_conversions/demos/nucleus.rom

[Linked Image from raw.githubusercontent.com]

Last edited by Folly; 08/26/22 08:58 PM.
1 member likes this: Walker
F
Folly Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Walker
If nobody else volunteers I will probably try the provided rom dumps from that guy and try to adapt the existing portfolio device to that prototype, sadly there is not a lot of software for it as it never came to market.

Would be great if you could make that possible.

F
Folly Offline OP
OP Offline
F
With converting the nucleus demo I discovered that my script needed to be able to add multiple commands to the autoexec.bat.

cd nucleus
n

So I did an update :
https://github.com/FollyMaddy/creat...af36ab4f4b9de7e4f7ea1b543b1c6825d5061c19
https://github.com/FollyMaddy/creat...e41f40ab1eb9ca6b1e8bf01d8de027fe97f84d97

This can now be done by separating the commands with \\n.
For example : cd <subdirectory>\\n<program>.

I added my mame artwork file too :
https://github.com/FollyMaddy/creat...268cd11e158f5dba5765076277a14917a9e33271

Last edited by Folly; 08/27/22 07:46 AM.
F
Folly Offline OP
OP Offline
F
If nobody else volunteers I will probably try the provided rom dumps from that guy and try to adapt the existing portfolio device to that prototype, sadly there is not a lot of software for it as it never came to market.

To be more specific :
Is it fair to say you want the regular pofo driver to be able to emulate the regular "pofo" and the "pofo2proto" ?
So the "pofo2proto" entry becomes a clone that makes use of the regular pofo driver, right ?
If so, that would be a good plan to start with as you would improve the regular driver along with pofo2proto support.

Last edited by Folly; 08/27/22 04:52 PM.
W
W
Yes this would be the direction, but first I still hve to sort some other stuff around here.

At least I got further on the parallel interface side - not yet with the cheap usb ones but with usb2lpt from
USB2LPT Homepage

(the hardware can be bought ready built from some companies).

The driver offers easy to use ioctls in windows, and i am currently rewriting the transfolio file transfer program
into a python script to be able to easily transfer stuff from and to the portfolio.

Might also be interesting to enhance the mame hpc101 parallel port device to support usb2lpt before I step into the portfolio 2 stuff (- would this be an acceptible path or is it of no merit I wonder?)

Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
Might also be interesting to enhance the mame hpc101 parallel port device to support usb2lpt before I step into the portfolio 2 stuff (- would this be an acceptible path or is it of no merit I wonder?)
It wouldn’t work well – MAME only synchronises with the wall clock once every video frame.

Online Content
If nobody else volunteers I will probably try the povided rom dumps from that guy and try to adapt the existing portfolio device to that prototype, sadly there is not a lot of software for it as it never came to market.
I briefly looked at this a few weeks ago, the ROMs do run in the pofo driver but the video output is completely different so nothing is displayed.

The main task would be to emulate the 82C425 device, replacing the HD61830 used in pofo. The 82C425 looks functionally similar to the 6845, with extensions, so using the current mc6845.cpp as a template would be a good starting point.

If no-one indicates they're working on this in the next couple of weeks then I may look at it myself.

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.
2 members like this: Folly, Walker
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (robcfg), 20 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,112
Posts119,407
Members5,024
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com