Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Siggi Online Content OP
OP Online Content
S
Originally Posted by Just Desserts
Can you give more quantifiable info on this bit?
Originally Posted by Siggi
However, if I click them, they seem to go for a one way trip into an impossible state.
I'm not sure what's happening, I haven't tried to debug it yet. I assume somehow the mix of an analog control with a set number of values and a remapping table is causing the click to munge the port somehow. After this happens, I can't move the control with the key mappings I specify, so either there's something going off on the remap table, or else the state of the port is somehow shedding the key mappings?

Last edited by Siggi; 01/24/23 11:12 PM. Reason: Question mark, not slash :/
S
Siggi Online Content OP
OP Online Content
S
Originally Posted by Just Desserts
Can you give more quantifiable info on this bit?
However, if I click them, they seem to go for a one way trip into an impossible state.
I'm not sure what's happening, I haven't tried to debug it yet. I assume somehow the mix of an analog control with a set number of values and a remapping table is causing the click to munge the port somehow. After this happens, I can't move the control with the key mappings I specify, so either there's something going off on the remap table, or else the state of the port is somehow shedding the key mappings?

OK, no big mystery. A click bottlenecks in analog_field::set_value(1), while the release invokes ::set_value(0). After this, the field is stuck in "adjoverride" mode, as nothing calls clear_value in this case.

Code
void analog_field::set_value(s32 value)
{
	m_use_adjoverride = true;
	m_adjoverride = std::clamp(value, m_adjmin, m_adjmax);
}

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Yes, as I said, it doesn’t work well with analog fields. It wasn’t originally designed to work with analog fields at all, and I’m not happy with the approach of using the “inputraw” attribute for obtaining values from them. Short-sighted decisions have painted us into a corner, but there’s so much built on top of it that improving the situation is an inordinate amount of work. Kind of like why I’m currently thousands of lines deep in refactoring when all I really wanted was a better out-of-the-box experience. I’ll eventually get back to improving artwork, but for now it has some fairly major limitations, and one of those is that it doesn’t play nicely with analog I/O port fields. There are just too many fires to fight, and I haven’t had a contiguous chunk of time to get a solid set of artwork functionality updates ready for prime time.

I’ll give you a hand to provide better interaction within the current limitations after I’ve got this current pile of refactoring in. I really do need to get it done so it can be tested before the next release.

1 member likes this: Siggi
S
Siggi Online Content OP
OP Online Content
S
Originally Posted by Vas Crabb
I’ll give you a hand to provide better interaction within the current limitations after I’ve got this current pile of refactoring in. I really do need to get it done so it can be tested before the next release.

Thanks - in the meantime I guess I can manipulate the pots with a debug command.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Pernod), 23 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,158
Posts119,911
Members5,034
Most Online1,283
Dec 21st, 2022
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com