Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TSCHAK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I wanted to thank you guys for including the ability to generate the required formatting tracks for Adam digital data packs into castool.

I was able to generate a blank center-formatted (HE) DDP, take it into audacity to add some bits of silence on each end, and record the output to a cassette using a USB enabled tape deck.

I used:

```
dd if=/dev/zero of=blank-center.ddp bs=1024 count=256
castool convert ddp blank-center.ddp blank-center.wav
```

followed by a quick trip into audacity to insert silence at the beginning and end (to pad out to 30 mins), and recorded the result onto a Sony HF-60 tape.

The result worked perfectly, and I was able to subsequently use Coleco's in-house TAPEUTL to write a copy of AdamCalc onto the tape, and boot it.

I would humbly ask that the mode variable in the ddp output code be exposed so that GW (right-directory) tapes can be output, because there is a difference between the two formats that is very important when reconstituting physical media.

Thank you,
-Thom

1 member likes this: exidyboy
T
TSCHAK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I've finished writing the paper detailing the whole process, and it can be read via the Internet Archive, here:
https://archive.org/details/formatting-digital-data-packs

Again, thank you to all who made this possible. It really was dumb luck that I happened upon lib/src/formats/adam_cas.cpp while looking for something else. smile

-Thom

I
I
Is there a reason why these tapes can't be just directly recorded and saved as audio, as with the other computer cassetes?

LCD artwork scans and cleanups: https://mega.nz/#F!uFYSzK7S!U-lJon9jsqyoCX_3y7_KLA
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Adam tapes aren't compatible with standard cassette players.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (nerd4gw), 63 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,240
Posts120,958
Members5,061
Most Online1,283
Dec 21st, 2022
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com