Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Vas Crabb #123138 02/01/24 04:54 AM
=
=
Also from Sega, initial support for the AI computer has been added. No, this isn’t related to the current artificial intelligence craze...
In 1980th there was an AI craze as well. Everybody was talking about "expert systems", and chess computers, speech synth chips and parsers of text adventures (Infocom etc.) made people think that they were only few years away from computers with human-like intellectual capabilities.

Originally Posted by Vas Crabb
You seriously underestimate the amount of goodwill we gain from supporting localised versions of home computers.
By the way, my rom dump of the German "Psion Revo" still hasn't appeared in MAME, isn't it?

Originally Posted by ssj
Not even a word about Gakken TV Boy which was such a huge mark on emulation and preservation and definitely one of the highlights of this month.
Originally Posted by incog
Great news, I'm also super happy seeing progress on the Epoch Cassette Vision...
Those single-chip game consoles are definitely worth to be emulated. Even though gameplay was inferior to VCS2600 and will never permit homebrew games on real hardware, they are historically important to see the technical standard of minimal hardware created at that time.

Last edited by =CO=Windler; 02/01/24 04:54 AM.

MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU!

{weltenschule.de}
=CO=Windler #123139 02/01/24 10:09 AM
G
G
Originally Posted by ssj
Not even a word about Gakken TV Boy which was such a huge mark on emulation and preservation and definitely one of the highlights of this month.
Originally Posted by =CO=Windler
Those single-chip game consoles are definitely worth to be emulated. Even though gameplay was inferior to VCS2600 and will never permit homebrew games on real hardware, they are historically important to see the technical standard of minimal hardware created at that time.

I wouldn't say 'never'. There is actually a TV Boy multi-game cart using a 6803 and an external ROM. Don't remember the details but I read it somewhere. There are a few TV Boy homebrew games out there.

Dumping ROMs for MAME since 1999!
https://gurudumps.otenko.com
ssj #123141 02/01/24 12:40 PM
E
E
Originally Posted by ssj

Never heard of it.

Originally Posted by ssj
And yet stuff like the arabic version of Aquarius gets mentioned lol

Very significant considering how little Arabic language software has been preserved and how little awareness there is more broadly about the history of Arabic language microcomputing.

Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted by Modulus RC-28
Originally Posted by Kale
I'm not exactly sure what the users really want at this point (and no, the troll reactions about wanting HNG64 sound doesn't count, at all).
if yuo're not exactly sure what they really want, simple, just ask them
and yes, wanting to see HNG64 sound be fixed does count, "troll reactions" or not
There are multiple problems with that:
  • Ask three people what they want most, and you’ll get four answers with no overlap.
  • A lot of them are unrealistic, e.g. “emulate <hoarded game>”, “fix all the bugs in <complex undocumented platform> emulation”, “make <demanding emulation target> run full speed on my ARM handheld”.
  • A lot of the time when you do achieve one of these holy grails, they immediately realise it isn’t all it was cracked up to be and/or forget about it five minutes later to start demanding something else (e.g. consider the history of Marble Madness 2, Um Jammer Lammy NOW!, Namco System 10, etc.).

Vas Crabb #123144 02/01/24 05:09 PM
M
M
  • Ask three people what they want most, and you’ll get four answers with no overlap.
  • A lot of them are unrealistic, e.g. “emulate <hoarded game>”, “fix all the bugs in <complex undocumented platform> emulation”, “make <demanding emulation target> run full speed on my ARM handheld”.
  • A lot of the time when you do achieve one of these holy grails, they immediately realise it isn’t all it was cracked up to be and/or forget about it five minutes later to start demanding something else (e.g. consider the history of Marble Madness 2, Um Jammer Lammy NOW!, Namco System 10, etc.).
double yikes
nvm then, sorry i've ever said anything of the sort here, if the "community" really is as bad as you say here then i'll keep mum about it from here on out

WIP
Vas Crabb #123145 02/01/24 05:17 PM
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Yes, some of them really are that bad. Marble Madness 2 was more active for that stuff than UJLN! or System 10, but there was steady asking for those too.

Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted by Modulus RC-28
double yikes
nvm then, sorry i've ever said anything of the sort here, if the "community" really is as bad as you say here then i'll keep mum about it from here on out
Oh, I’m not offended. It isn’t that the whole community is horrible, there’s just a small and rather noisy subset of it that’s very easy to notice.

The thing is, emulation is a lot of work for very little reward besides personal satisfaction. You’ve got to be doing it for yourself.

I do frequently get positive feedback from random people, often for things I didn’t expect anyone to care about at all.

We do implement requested features as well. For example in this release, Zstandard compression CHDs and FLAC cassette images are things people have requested at various times that Wilbert and I ended up implementing. Demand for Zstandard in CHDs came primarily from people using other emulators that make use of the CHD format.

R. Belmont #123147 02/01/24 05:25 PM
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
Originally Posted by R. Belmont
Yes, some of them really are that bad. Marble Madness 2 was more active for that stuff than UJLN! or System 10, but there was steady asking for those too.
UJLN! was the topic of emugen posts every day from when the machine appeared in a YouTube video until it was emulated.
“Why haven’t MAMEdev emulated this? It would drop straight in!”
“Why haven’t MAMEdev said anything about this? It should be the emulation event of the year!”

Never mind that that the ROMs hadn’t actually been dumped, and the CD-ROM interface it used wasn’t emulated. Then as soon as it was emulated, they go straight back to bitching about us not emulating rare versions of Cave shooters that there were given as competition prizes at game shows (often less than five examples made).

Vas Crabb #123151 02/02/24 12:09 AM
S
S
I’m personally very grateful we have rarities like marble madness 2 preserved. Among many other incredibly rare esoteric stuff like the mindset game Vyper or other prototypes.

I still believe that the service this will give to future generations will be huge. Even if many people don’t see it this way today.

Vas Crabb #123152 02/02/24 07:05 AM
Very Senior Member
OP Offline
Very Senior Member
Bob Zed’s video of highlights from the new release:

[video:youtube]
[/video]

MAME 0.262 is a huge release, and this video doesn’t come close to covering everything that was added, but it does feature some nice highlights.

2 members like this: Dullaron, robcfg
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dorando, Pernod, 1 invisible), 52 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,260
Posts121,256
Members5,064
Most Online1,283
Dec 21st, 2022
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com