Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
OP Offline
C
I posted a message to
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=mametesters

It hasn't shown up yet. I don't know if I have to wait for a moderator to approve the post or if I did something incorrect when I posted it. I don't want to re-post it; I don't want anyone bent out of shape at the "newbie." smile So I'm just going to wait a couple days and see what happens.

-Chris

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
It should show up right away - if it didn't, you didn't do it right. Keep in mind that when you first click post on that software it *always* goes into preview and you have to click post again for it to actually go.

C
OP Offline
C
R. Belmot wrote:
> It should show up right away - if it didn't, you
> didn't do it right.

Okay... Thanks for the info. I'll attempt to post it again soon. For now it looks like there's an issue with the message board. It's currently displaying a "This Account Has Been Suspended" message.

-Chris

C
OP Offline
C
Well... Here's the thread:

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...amp;o=&vc=1

It was moved to "MAME chat" by a moderator. It sounds like I have a tough case to prove. I don't own an Asteroids PCB nor any of the equipment necessary to test it. I know a couple of people who have Asteroids cabinets. I don't think I could get them to participate in any PCB testing, but I might be able to talk them into recording game play to demonstrate the frequency of the thumps.

Anyway.... If anyone wishes to participate in the thread, feel free to chime in on the URL above. And thanks again for the feedback.

-Chris Johnson

M
M
Well, as I've already said, I have Asteroids boards (and a cab) and plenty of test gear. Let me know what tests you want doing and I can let you know if I can do them for you.

What I'm not overly keen on is signing up to yet another forum in order to participate in a thread. I have enough trouble keeping track of all the forums in life as it is smile

Martin.

M
M
As an aside, are you talking about the interval between the thumps, or the "highness" (or "lowness"!) of the thumps themselves.

If it's the latter then surely another thing that would effect it would be the size of the speaker used, and the acoustics of the cab it's in. Put simpler, a cabaret would sound different to an upright to a cocktail, to a bootleg, wouldn't it?

Oh, and the shielding of the speaker. My cabaret has a metal shroud over the speaker for instance. That would make it sound different to one without.

Surely things like this can't realistically be expected to be emulated rightly or wrongly?

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin:
If it's the latter then surely another thing that would effect it would be the size of the speaker used, and the acoustics of the cab it's in. Put simpler, a cabaret would sound different to an upright to a cocktail, to a bootleg, wouldn't it?

Oh, and the shielding of the speaker. My cabaret has a metal shroud over the speaker for instance. That would make it sound different to one without.
perhaps different harmonics are being emphasised with these variables in the sound systems?

As a guy WITH perfect pitch...

If a note is OFF. It's freaking off, and no amount of harmonics, speaker and cab sizes are going to change that... it would be down to an emulation issue.

I don't know enough about the original asteroids machine, but I'm dang sure if I ever HAD heard an original, I'd be able to tell the difference between incorrect emulation and simple cabinet differences. In fact... even moreso than Mr. Johnson, it would drive me absolutely crazy.

To sum up... I'm glad I never paid much attention to the machine when it was in arcades.

-Mahuti

-------------------------------
localarcade.com
M
M
Best you be glad you haven't got one then - LOL!!

C
OP Offline
C
Martin wrote:
> As an aside, are you talking about the interval
> between the thumps, or the "highness" (or
> "lowness"!) of the thumps themselves.

When I say "interval" I'm talking about a musical interval , rather than a time interval.

If I had perfect pitch , I'd actually be able to remember what the pitch of the thumps actually was. Unfortunately, I'm not as lucky as mahuti. smile However, I do have enough musical training and ability to be able to identify the distance between two notes, and I definitely remember them being a minor second . And what mahuti said is dead on. If the notes are wrong, they're wrong. The size of the speaker enclosure or the materials used around the speaker might color the tone by emphasizing certain harmonics or overtones . It would not actually change the pitch of the note coming out of the speaker.

I don't know exactly what needs to be done to satisfy the key MAME developers that the pitch needs to be corrected, but if you wouldn't mind volunteering your expertise, I'll do my best to find out what needs to be done and let you know. And if it's something that's in your realm of abilities and time-availability, it'd be GREAT to get it fixed finally. It's been bugging me for a long time!

I'll keep y'all posted....

-Chris Johnson

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (r09, Pernod, Xolod, R. Belmont), 34 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,921
Posts117,204
Members4,989
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com