Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Well, the best approach (in my uneducated opinion) would be to get some good quality recording gear, and make a digital recording of the sounds through the cabinet's speaker. (Making sure the speaker is in good condition.) You could, I suppose, adapt the signal going into the speaker to the input of the recorder, to bypass the speaker entirely.

Then, use something like SnapzPro to rip the audio from MacMAME's version of Asteroids, throw the two tracks into some audio analyzing software, and compare them.

The key though, is starting out with an Asteroids machine that's in good working order. If you don't have that, the rest of the comparison is meaningless.

AtariAge Blog
C
OP Offline
C
Well, I'm hoping that Derrick Renaud will eventually see the thread I started over at mameworld.info. Martin, I took the liberty of mentioning that I knew of someone with Asteroids hardware that would be willing to perform some testing. Let's hope that Derrick sees it and it winds up on his to-do list.

I'll check periodically and keep you posted.

-Chris Johnson

M
M
No problem - in the meantime I'll take a peek at the code when I get a moment and see if I understand how the analogue side of it is being emulated.

If I do then I can double check the values against the boards that I have access to, primarily to see if they are different across multiple boards and if they are all the same, if they match that of the emulation.

I guess that would be a good first step to see if we agree with the emulation before jumping on to whether the sound the emulation is producing should be different or not.

I think that makes sence! I've not looked at the source yet and could be way off in my understanding of what needs to be done / looked at!

Martin.
PS: Thanks for the explanation on the interval! Not being overly musical that was confusing smile

[sigh] if only I had..perfect pitch !

C
OP Offline
C
I noticed the following on the list of updates for MAME.102

-------
"Updated the discrete thump sound in Asteroids to use component values instead of derived equations. [Hans Andersson, Derrick Renaud]"
-------

YES YES YES!!!!

Since my main computer is a Mac, it took me a few days to get the Mame32 .102 version installed on my windows PEEcee at work. But I finally did today. AND THEY FIXED IT! HOORAY!!!! The thumps sound fantastic. Hans Andersson and/or Derrick Renaud must've seen the thread I started over at mameworld.info . I am just totally jazzed. Many thanks to everyone here for the advice and insight.

-Chris Johnson

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (mixmaster, R. Belmont, rfka01), 40 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,924
Posts117,247
Members4,991
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com