Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
#12842 10/13/05 07:10 AM
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:
There is absolutely no valid reason the before tax price shouldn't be identical worldwide.
Sure there is. Their costs could be higher.

Overhead of the music store - cost per sale may be higher than US
Bandwidth costs are higher?
Hosting costs are higher?
Fees they have to pay that they don't pay to sell in the US? (extra pre-sale taxes? tariffs? export fees?)
Maybe the owner of the UK rights to the items want a cut too or a bigger cut

I seriously doubt that Apple sticks it to UK customers just to gouge them because they can. Minus any facts, why do you suspect the worst of Apple here?

#12843 10/13/05 08:05 AM
Uhhh... Nathan... A video ipod is not JUST an iPod revision... The funny part about this is I described this item in detail on my Apple+Intel=Entertainment... and also explained why there is no movies on the Video iPod right now....

So the Atari 2600 survives to die another day... me too! Whew...

I still feel though that $1.99 is 50% too high for video locked to 320x240. $.99 would have been perfect.... And is what I expected.

I also predicted television episodes for $.99... now when you miss an episode you can catch up fairly cheap.

The problem... is that they REALLY need to allow you... like music... to export your video to iDVD! So you can archive your purchases on DVD for viewing elsewhere...

You see... I simply see the 320x240 format as acceptable for waiting for the boxed DVD set that will come later.. So a 24 episode series would cost $24 online til you buy the boxed set for $30-50... Im okay losing $24 til the boxed set... but $48??? No.. I just cant justify that.

But.... Hummm... this is clearly a television box with a aspect ratio of 4:3 (NTSC Television...) not 16x9 like the PSP.... But again... in that podcast I explained why Apple wouldnt get into movies until they have Intel on their boards... ALSO... since that isnt going to happen until next year... so next year they can release MY dream ipod.... (I think Im going to write up what I really want... and post it... Ill let you guys know...)

MAMEDave

Hey!?! Wheres my $10 from everyone!

#12844 10/13/05 08:11 AM
P.S. Any guesses what my next podcast will be about?

2 Live Fools

Located at Apples itunes in Various sections including arts & entertainment...

www.2livefools.com

(Look... Ive been doing this thing for about eight months now... and havent marketed it...! Lol.... So listen... enjoy... and tell your friends if you like it! (if you dont, dont tell anyone but me... lol!)

MAMEDave

#12845 10/13/05 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MAMEDave:
Uhhh... Nathan... A video ipod is not JUST an iPod revision...

So the Atari 2600 survives to die another day... me too! Whew...
Funny... I don't see a "video iPod" mentioned anywhere. Just an iPod revision... that can play videos. wink

Well, we'll let it slide this time. Besides, I'd rather see you try and eat a Vectrex. laugh

AtariAge Blog
#12846 10/13/05 08:51 AM
J
J
Is it just me, or are today's announcements just snoozers?

DirectTV with Tivo and Netflix on my TV... Boom. I'm already done. Give me netflix streaming someday, maybe that would be nice. Plus, might buy an old ILO DVD recorder on eBay and hack off the macrovision and the region 1 limits. What else do I need?

Who the hell is going to watch stuff on their iPods or even use their iPods for playing stuff on TV? PSP's sell because they're game players which just happen to have video. I say this because of the big failure of portable TV's. Only big market I've seen for portable video is for kids in cars.

And the new iMac with a remote control? Zzzzz... Just seems like kind of an interesting interface, but I want DVR and games in that interface. Not polaroid pictures. I want the Apple version of the MythTV/Freevo boxes in the mini-MOBO cases.

Jon

p.s. I _know_ Jobs won't release a ROM-less x86 MacOS. I've been a loyal follower for too dang long to think it would actually happen. But it's the only thing I want out of Apple. I loved the hell out of my Umax c600 - upgrades, extra ports, and no compatibility problems. My ibook 900? Argh. Latest gripe is I'm sick of the flat, hard edges. All of my coworkers Windows laptops are rounded or padded and don't cut off your circulation on your wrists. Maybe he'll let Dell or HP clone them so we can get decent hardware at least? *grumble* I remember being an addict to AAPL in 1999-2000 when the iMacs came out. Then going to CompUSA with everyone and spent 2 hours showing people how to reboot them when they froze... At least MacOSX is stable, but the hardware designs seem to be getting worse.

#12847 10/13/05 02:41 PM
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by shortstop:
Minus any facts, why do you suspect the worst of Apple here?
In the absence of any official explanation I don't see that I have a choice, especially given that because Apple has always been between 10 and 20% more expensive in this country relative to US prices for the complete range of products.

My current desktop was built about two hundred miles from where I'm sitting, yet I paid more for it (before tax) than an equivalent model purchased in the United States. There's something wrong there. My 30" display cost about 20% more before tax than the US price. Again, why?

#12848 10/13/05 05:38 PM
Just wondering - is that different for other electronics manufacturers? Dell? Sony? Are they also more expensive relative to U.S. prices?

On another note (Ha! Get it? Oh wait... I haven't gotten to that part yet...), I finally watched the "event". And basically, was pretty nonplussed by it for the most part. Yeah, they're nice updates, but at this point, that's really about it. However, it's pretty obvious Apple's going to dip its toes a bit deeper into the whole "home entertainment appliance" pool at some point. But for right now, they're just testing the waters.

I don't think the 320x240 resolution is too bad. It's actually slightly better than VHS, and with much better color saturation and clarity. Unfortunately, they're not really competing with VHS. They're competing with Tivo, DVDs and satellite TVs. But at a higher rez, the downloading time would just kill it from a practicality standpoint, so I see why they did it. Plus the iPod would have to be able to scale down video on the fly, which may be too much for it to handle.

The real problem is still content. Why buy what I can watch on TV? Why ever buy music videos when I could watch them on MTV? Oh wait... they don't do music videos anymore. And... neither does VH1. Well anyway... I think they should've made it so if you had already bought a song, the video only cost another 99 cents, and if you buy the song as part of the video, you could at least burn the audio part to a CD. Music videos are basically tools to sell songs. Does anyone actually watch them over and over?

Which brings me to the whole note thing... (Get it? Whole note? Ha! I kill me!) The best part of the event was having Wynton Marsalis come out and play a 15 minute set. Now, that kind of content is something I'd pay $1.99 for. Live performances, unavailable on albums. Apple should go around and tape every concert they can, and sell videos of those. Give us something unique for the money.

And finally... I have a whole new level of admiration for Steve, because he made himself look like a complete dork using their Photo Booth app, yet he still managed to be cool while doing it.

AtariAge Blog
#12849 10/13/05 07:59 PM
OP Offline
Richard~ I feel your pain... but aren't most import items more expensive than their domestic counterparts? And wouldn't it be the content providers that set the price, rather than Apple when it comes to import pricing? I truly don't know, I'm just asking.

And I took some time last night to play around with iTunes 6... They did a good job organizing videos and the TV Shows/Pixar Shorts pages look nice. I was kind of hoping you could download Movie Trailers directly into your iTunes library, but it didn't seem to work for me. Bummer. Anyway, I had a blast watching some old videos I hadn't seen in a while. And I had never seen Boundin' so I tried that. The experience was quite simple, and rather quick for the content... but, I guess you can label me a hater because, IMHO 320x240 is just too small.

I agree with Nathan's reasoning on it, and would add that it probably will help convince the content owners that it won't cannibalize any of their other medium sales by offering it at such a low quality, but on my 20" iMac, it was just too pixelated.

What do you think the chances are that they up the rez in the future? wink

#12850 10/13/05 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:
at a higher price.
There's an article on CNN that is somewhat relevant to your predicment.

#12851 10/13/05 11:52 PM

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Augusto, 1 invisible), 18 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,274
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com