Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
#12802 10/11/05 06:08 AM
Well, Bob Cringely still thinks it's got something to do with video.

He wrote at the end of this week\'s column:

Quote:
Finally a word about Apple's big announcement next week. I'm told that if you try to access a page on the Apple web site that doesn't exist, something like http://www.apple.com/cringely you get a "page not found" redirect. But if you try http://www.apple.com/movies you get a "forbidden" message.
Funny... I thought the site that doesn't exist used to be something entirely different. wink

He also predicted the launch of an iVideo service back in July:

Quote:
If iVideo is the correct name, it implies that the new application will become part of Apple's iLife suite along with iMove, iTunes and other applications. This makes good sense even for Intel. Why? Because at this point it is more important to Intel for iVideo to be a success than it is for iVideo to use lots of Intel chips. The population of broadband-equipped OS X computers in the U.S. is around 10 million, and that's a good number for launching a new service and avoiding problems should it be literally TOO popular. The point is to make iVideo a hit, first with Mac users and with impatent Windows users who'll go out and buy a Mac Mini just to be able to run the app (that's the old model for upgrading, right?). Mac Minis quietly appeared last weekend at Best Buy and Target, for sale alongside the iPods. This is in preparation for the iVideo launch, which will presumably come in September or October, certainly before the xBox November launch
So we'll see in a couple of days.

AtariAge Blog
#12803 10/11/05 07:24 AM
Apple+Intel=Entertainment.... You should all go listen to that podcast we did a little while ago... (4th) www.2livefools.com or on itunes "2 Live Fools"... there's another angle to this intel/video combination with Apple.... I think Apple went intel to project motion pictures for online distribution.

Have a listen... you might find it interesting...

Dave

#12804 10/11/05 07:42 AM
MacTablet. a MacTel MacTablet.

Sure, it will sink like the MacCube, but it's big enough to garner attention. And who knows -- Apple always seems to do something right, even when they mess up big time (remember Newton?)

This is only a practice life.
Your real life starts in 15 minutes.
#12805 10/11/05 09:12 PM
V
V
Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Strum:

Quote:
Finally a word about Apple's big announcement next week. I'm told that if you try to access a page on the Apple web site that doesn't exist, something like http://www.apple.com/cringely you get a "page not found" redirect. But if you try http://www.apple.com/movies you get a "forbidden" message.
Funny... I thought the site that doesn't exist used to be something entirely different. wink
LOL. Actually that apple.com/movies link with the "forbidden" message has been around for a long time. I remember seeing that link months ago.

#12806 10/12/05 12:34 AM
OP Offline
Here is one of the better rumor recaps that I've seen. They even put the Video iPod at 80%. smile

And of course, if you're a betting man... :rolleyes:

#12807 10/12/05 01:04 AM
Actually, this has all been a huge misunderstanding.

There was a typo on the invite which should have read, "One less thing..."

Apple is ditching the computer biz once and for all. Bill Gates is going to show up, announce they finally gave up trying to get Longhorn to work, and just decided to buy OS X for Intel instead, and ship that in its place. Steve Jobs will just be off to the side, sitting on a giant pile of money, giggling like a school girl.

Apple will stick to making iPods, and will introduce: video iPods, digital camera iPods, video camera iPods, cell phone iPods, video-game iPods, PDA iPods, blackberry iPods and oddly enough, a martini-shaker iPod. I guess there's actually a market for that.

Sadly, all of them will remain separate iPods, and in the frenzy Apple will accidentally discontinue music iPods, instantly dooming themselves to a 0% market share. However, due to the money they get from selling OS X to Microsoft, they'll still manage to remain profitable.

AtariAge Blog
#12808 10/12/05 05:33 AM
OP Offline
Can you say... flip flop? wink

#12809 10/12/05 07:39 AM
J
J
If you're running out of HD space...

External Firewire harddrive enclosure - $35.
(http://dealnews.com/categories/Computer/Storage/Drive-Enclosures/368.html)
300GB harddrive - $100
(http://dealnews.com/categories/Computer/Storage/Hard-Drives/56.html)
Not having to break open that damn case again - priceless

All I want from Steven Jobs is Mactel without a ROM requirement. Freakin' Linspire computers are out there for $150 and $200 bucks. I'd buy one of them and slap a fully legal copy of Tiger on them in a SECOND. No hesitation. Hell, Dell's selling low-end PC's with winblows for $300 bucks now.

Jon

#12810 10/12/05 08:44 AM
Ain't gonna happen. Jobs is too much of a control freak to allow OS X to just run on any Intel box. They've stated that much repeatedly. Also, Apple will never be able to compete with low-end, dirt-cheap PCs on price. They could never sell enough to justify the lower profit margins that would be required. Of course, there will hacks that allow OS X to run on PCs, but they'll probably continuously patch the OS to try and prevent it.

On another note, I listened to Apple's conference call this afternoon, and I have come to the conclusion that all financial analysts are idiots. Regardless of how many times Apple clearly stated that they don't discuss future products, or wouldn't break down revenue by specific product lines, or discuss specific component constraints, these idiots just kept asking those same stupid questions over and over again. The patience of Apple's financial execs is remarkable. If it were me, I'd just keep yelling at them, "We TOLD you - we aren't going to answer those kind of questions! What are you - some kind of a MORON? Get off the phone and let someone with a brain ask a question!"

Listening is apparently a dead art form.

AtariAge Blog
#12811 10/12/05 10:26 AM
I
I
Just to throw my 2c out there before tomorrow, I think a video iPod is good bet. If anything, it would be possible to play the movie on the small LCD screen when you're on the go. When you got home, you could hook it up to a dock like the iPod Photo dock with the RCA output and hook it up to a screen to watch on your tv. I may be reaching, but this is how I guess it would be implemented.

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bletch, R. Belmont, Reznor007, AJR, SoltanGris42, 1 invisible), 24 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,974
Posts117,891
Members5,001
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com