Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13282 11/20/05 10:19 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi Guys and gals,

I'm considering buying an MP3 player, and ended up coming across the rockbox project for old Archos and iRiver players. Those include games, and even a GB emulator that works at 90% speed.

Boom, the lights went on, and then I saw the GMini's from Archos which play Morphun games. And I started wondering what else is out there. My Google searchs haven't been able to narrow out anything.

Dang, now I'm wondering - can I get MAME on a handheld portable (like MAMED on Kodak digital cameras - http://digita.mame.net/)? Maybe even a PSP? I mainly want an MP3 player with a bigass HD, but the prospect of being able to play games on it is teasing me.

Anyone have recommendations? Maybe even a PalmOS device which plays MP3's?

Jon

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Just get an iPod and be done with it - everything else sucks for mp3s, and nothing portable is good for MAME. The PSP is way underpowered, and Palms and PocketPCs are either underpowered or have crappy controls that are unsuitable for games.

If you want to play classics on portable systems, there are quite a few compilations out there already. But be fair warned - a lot of them are really terrible. Try before you buy.

AtariAge Blog
I play mame on my PSP... it works... no way to store 5000+ Games, but it works... And you can buy commerical games...

J
OP Offline
J
Yeah, I keep telling myself I should get a 4th gen iPod (my G3 iBook only has firewire/USB1.1), but I'm really intrigued by the Archos AV300 series because it's a fully functional DVR and it does Firewire with the special cable and camcorder with the special camera. There's 2 sourceforge projects out there for alternate OS's on it (one's Linux), but they both seem to have stalled.

But, the size on them is pretty big (2.5" HD and 3" screen.) I just want a tiny pocket device.

Maybe I'll cheap out and just get an SD expandable Sansa for $40 on the Black Friday sales.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
MAMEDave: you can't play commercial games *and* MAME on the same PSP, and anything newer than about 1985 is going to be a lost cause for speed. And it really irritates both MAMEdev and Sony.

R. Belmont: irritating Sony doesn't bother me a nanosecond since they got money from me.

I wouldn't want to irritate MAMEdev, though!

Not being able to play anything newer than about 1985 doesn't bother me either, since I just want to play some Galaga or Space Duel (or similar, I'm old game) on my PSP (which I love, by the way).

Now I only have to decide if I will buy SW Battlefront II for the Mac, the GameCube, the PS 2 or the PSP. I really can't justify buying it for every system I have.

Why can't you buy a personal license to play it on any device?

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Because each port costs money - games are not magically created out of whole cloth that just plain run on everything. Ask Brad smile

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
Because each port costs money - games are not magically created out of whole cloth that just plain run on everything. Ask Brad smile
With a good pair of standards it is ideologically possible. But not probable.

R. Belmont: Who cares about Sony? And you can play commercial games *and* MAME on the same PSP.... (At least now that we can get back to the 1.5 firmware from the 2.0 version...) How else can I play battlefront 2 and MAME...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (JonasP, r09), 80 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,880
Posts116,792
Members4,961
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com