Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Geez, check this out. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-4/qid=/ref=sr_1_4/602-0032200-4782276?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B000AQHKR0

I just saw this at target while I was out with the wife and kid.

It's somewhere between a mini-cab and standard cab in size, but it's the saddest piece of dog-do in terms of hardware.

Looked like about a 13" TV with 3/8" plywood for the frame. Robotron didn't have enough clarity for your guy even to have all of his colors/eye gap to show. The buttons were mushy with a bad action. And the joysticks not only felt flimsy, but they had a hard ring under the ball that was cutting into my fingers within the first minute or two. I don't think they were leaf or microswitch. I think it might have been "pads".

It was just sad, sad, sad. Especially with such cool games. frown

Jon

I saw it the other day as well and I don't think it is as bad as people are saying. I played Joust and Robotron and both played pretty well with Robotron taking advantage of dual sticks. True the sticks are not made that great but they're playable, and the buttons..those could use some help. I found them to be too stiff to smash the buttons in Joust.

The worst part about the cabinet to me was the monitor. It was a standard 14" tv. The one they had on display looked like the TV was dying out already, with it being very washed out looking.

I personally own a MAME machine so I would never buy a $450 cabinet like that to play something equivilant to one of those Jakks 10-in-1 games, but it would make a good gift item for those who aren't hardcore emulation fans like ourselves and it does look pretty cool as an addition to a game room or kids bedroom.

I think the unit is worth about $150-200. No more than that. If I had the cash (and apartment space) I would buy it just to mod it with a PC and LCD screen. I also like it just for the panel and side art...something my MAME machine is missing.

Apparently there's a similar product with Atari games...

A friend of mine told me he saw one on display at Target. So I did a search on their site to see what they offered. I was surprised to see they offered a pretty wide selection for the classic gamer. Anything from an $18 Midway Arcade Treasures disc to a complete PC-based, full-sized cabinet for a mere $6,000!

Target arcade games

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
4 members (belegdol, mahlemiut, Praxis, 1 invisible), 46 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,879
Posts116,763
Members4,957
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com