Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.asp...p;bp=&img=0

Any thoughts or experiences with this unit? I'm curious as the the actual PC specs, licensing of the games being sold, and if you can then add your own ROM collection to it... Any insight would be appreciated.

The artwork looks like somebody ate a bunch of arcade flyers then threw up on the cabinet.

AtariAge Blog
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
It worries me that the one game they explicitly mention in the large text is Golden Tee.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
It's an Ultracade machine. For the uninitiated, that means it's probably very well built but you can't ever add your own ROMs or even reuse the PC. It's very specialized.

J
J
Yeah, you can buy more Ultracade ROM packs once they've licensed them. Lots of very good games, properly licensed (forgetting about the MAME trademark fight.)

Jon

Not much of a fight.. just controversy.

As for well built... I'm unimpressed. Out of the 5 different Ultracade machines I've seen in the wild, 2 were not working correctly... that is, the software was jacked or the system was dead. I've heard mixed comments from others as well.

One of his employees that frequents BYOAC seems genuinely impressed with what Ultracade is doing and has tried to do, and vouschafes for them. I've yet to be won over. It IS true that they have led the field in legal multi-rom arcade machines, others since have done what they can to begin offering machines with legal roms on them however. Dreamarcades for instance.

I'm more of a fan of the DIY approach myself.

Anyway, you can check out their site at ultracade.com. Additional rom packs are not cheap however. For the big bucks they charge, you can build your own with pc from scratch, including buying roms & legal art, etc.

-Mahuti

-------------------------------
localarcade.com
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
It's an Ultracade machine. For the uninitiated, that means it's probably very well built but you can't ever add your own ROMs or even reuse the PC. It's very specialized.
So how does that work? I can't find any PC specs or software/hardware info. on their site... Isn't it built off of MAME, using the same ROMS that everybody else uses?

BTW, their game packs ARE quite expensive... Dragon's Lair
Space Ace/Dragon's Lair II is priced at $799!

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
No. It's a custom emulator on a custom OS with licensed ROMs. It's very much intended to be a black box that you only upgrade by paying their prices.

OP Offline
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

J
J
Just saw one live at Costco. Black-box reliability issues aside, this is a nicely constructed box. 19" flatscreen, awesome interface, Happ controls. For $1999, it ain't cheap. But, compared to the costs for a standalone Ms Pacman/Galaga, it's a really nice set-up.

Only things I didn't like.
1. 6 button setup - but the top left button is button 1. Can't lean down by it because lower button is below.
2. 8 way joystick - programmatically, they had it pretty good for faking a 4way, but on Mr. Do!, still had a little "jitter" on quick cornering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (box, Heihachi_73, judge, Fake Shemp, 1 invisible), 52 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,879
Posts116,781
Members4,959
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com