Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
OP Offline
M
Well, here it is, 2006 (The Earth has made it around the sun again... Yay!), and we have not one but two updates to MacMAME (A fact I'm even happier about!)

I'm preparing to start the next round of Screenshot Updates for the MacMAME Screenshot Library, and during my preparations, I had a thought -

I understand and support our policy of "No ROM-Begging" as specified in the Message Board Rules.

However, I am wondering if this rule might be modified to include allowing information for sites that direct folks to ROM Burners that do not charge users to provide ROM Sets on CDs / DVDs, and / or Bit-Torrent sites that would actually benefit from more users?

Also of interest would be any information about a site (or sites) that provide individual ROMs (Not ROM Sets) for users that need an individual ROM to fix or complete a set. (if, in fact, such a site exists)

This brings me to my request. If anyone can help, and would like to contact me off board, please do so at mamebase@mac.com.

I appear to be missing one ROM each from two sets -

- mjdchuka - Mahjong The Dai Chuuka Ken (China, v. D111) (1.1b)

- quiz211 - Quiz (Revision 2.1) (prom_6349-1n.bin)

I'm also having a problem where I appear to be unable to merge a couple of sets due to a ROM being listed as 'good' in the Parent Set is listed as either 'Bad CRC' or 'Length Mismatch' in the Clone.

The Parent sets are -

- dydduke - Dynamite Duke (US)

- astrof - Astro Fighter (set 1)

Finally, I have a small problem with a couple f clones of sf2049 - San Francisco Rush 2049 - specifically the 'se' and 'te' editions do not see the CHD file. Is this just a naming problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!

The following statement is true...
The preceding statement is false.
I'm still inclined to forbid direct listings or linking to ROM-related sites of any kind. I think the message board has been far better off without it.

For one thing, we don't want this to turn into a "Hey d00d, I hear u can get ROMZ hear!" forum.

For another, I don't think the MAME team really wants to encourage ROM collecting (and by extension - ROM burning sites), and this is as close to an "official" message board as MacMAME has. (MAMEDevs - correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

Finally, one of the main reasons we don't allow linking to ROM sites, is so many got swamped with traffic and had to shut down (or had to shut down for legal reasons). I know some sites don't really want to be advertised, and how are we moderators to know someone has gotten specific permission from a site to do so? I'm not really interested in having to police something like that.

However... as with everything, there's always a loophole.

If someone were to know of such sites, and decided to create their own web page that included such information, there's no reason they couldn't link to their own webpage from here.

So for example, "MAMEBase's Handy Page of MacMAME Links" wouldn't be in violation of the rules, since technically it wouldn't be a ROM site. Just a page full of links that might happen to include them. In fact, such a page could indeed be handy, if someone were to maintain it, keep it updated with current links to sites, and perhaps include ratings as to which sites were good or not. I'd even be glad to link to it from MacMAME.net, although I have no desire to create such a page on my own.

Because, of course, I'm too lazy. wink

AtariAge Blog
R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
FWIW, that loophole isn't allowed on any of the reputable PC MAME sites. You Mac guys have been out of the loop for a while, so let me fill you in: emulation is now the exclusive province of grownups with lawyers. The game all companies know about and are watching MAME and associates *very* closely now. You don't want to do *anything* that a jury could be convinced is "encouraging people to download ROMs" in any way, shape, or form.

You may have noticed that we recently made Brad fix macmame.net to not point to ROM sites (even long-dead ones).

I stand corrected. Forget the loophole then. I'd prefer to remain reputable. (Or as much as I've been able to muster thus far.) smile

(BTW... Brad runs macmame.org, I run macmame.net.)

Edit: I just updated the Message Board rules to better reflect all of this. Sorry MAMEBase - looks like this had the opposite effect of what you were after. :rolleyes:

AtariAge Blog
MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
You may have noticed that we recently made Brad fix macmame.net to not point to ROM sites (even long-dead ones).
Actually, MacMAME.org still points to at least one ROM site. I guess you visit it as much as I do. wink

M
OP Offline
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Strum:
I just updated the Message Board rules to better reflect all of this. Sorry MAMEBase - looks like this had the opposite effect of what you were after. :rolleyes:
Not at all...

It's a new year, technology has changed and evolved, as has the MAME Community.

I simply thought it time to revisit the rules, whatever the outcome.

As far as the problems I listed in my original post, I guess I'm on my own... frown

The following statement is true...
The preceding statement is false.
dynduke and astrof contain two ROM files which are different but have nevertheless the same name. Do not merge them and the audit will stop to complain.

Concerning sf2049, the se and te clones can't be aliased from the original (unlike for other CHDs). You will have to make two copies and put them in separate folders. Aaron explained that on the MAME Message Board (sorry, I don't remember the specifics).

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
You can merge ROM sets with similarly named files, as long as you do it in a zip file. Rename one of the conflicting files, and MacMAME will pick it up by its CRC.

W
W
Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon:
Concerning sf2049, the se and te clones can't be aliased from the original (unlike for other CHDs). You will have to make two copies and put them in separate folders.
You don't have to make copies at all, here's my alias trick. Make new empty folders in the "hard disk images" folder called sf2049se and sf2049te. Inside each put an alias to the sf2049.chd file and just rename the alias sf2049se.chd and sf2049te.chd. It works fine for me! It's just a silly waste of space to have 3 copies of the exact same 845MB file.

=will=
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Strum:
I'm still inclined to forbid direct listings or linking to ROM-related sites of any kind. I think the message board has been far better off without it.
I will not allow any ROM links on this board as long as it is hosted on bannister.org.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bletch), 26 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,284
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com