Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
smf Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by will:
You don't have to make copies at all, here's my alias trick. Make new empty folders in the "hard disk images" folder called sf2049se and sf2049te. Inside each put an alias to the sf2049.chd file and just rename the alias sf2049se.chd and sf2049te.chd. It works fine for me! It's just a silly waste of space to have 3 copies of the exact same 845MB file.
You don't have to do anything at all. The games don't work because they need voodoo 3 & you don't have the CHD's that will be required.

Finding ways to make the audit report good on all romsets is not something that is encouraged.

smf

This old chestnut.....Rom links on this site would be a bad idea.Plenty of other sites. Cant help but feel sorry for new users lost in the mire of creepy "top 100 vote for me" so called rom sites though....
Incidentally, why is "Finding ways to make the audit report good on all romsets not something that is encouraged?"

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:
I will not allow any ROM links on this board as long as it is hosted on bannister.org.
Then take the emluators off your site along with the program that you ask money for so that we can play them with controllers.

Look, I use them, but if we are to be really serious how can you post something like that? If there were no programs like RockNES, MacMAME and Boycott Advance there would be no need or desire to download roms illegally. The whole good for programmers who want to make homebrew argument is BS for the most part and so is the whole preservation thing.

I am fine with the whole we can't post roms here thing, but then at the same time there should be no links to the programs that run them. For that matter when people ask questions like "I can't get KI or Mortal Kombat to run right. What do I do?" The answer should honestly be to go find a KI or MK machine. To help them is like helping a car thief best know how to start a car with a screw driver. Are we saying that since you did the dirty work we will help you now? That is crap.

For 2006 I think all talk of games that you need a commercial ROM to run should be off limits and a bannible offense. No more "How do I get this to work?' or "These games work with MacMAME." topics. The whole we won't tell you where, but if you do find them we will help you however we can thing has to stop.

Just to be fair.

M
M
What are you on ?

What do you mean Mac2112?

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Courts have repeatedly declared that emulator programs are legal. And downloading ROMs is not. So Richard's position is perfectly defensible, and TBC's is that of a frustrated little kid. I'll bet from the misplaced aggression he plays a lot of fighting games.

MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by TheBoomCamel:
I am fine with the whole we can't post roms here thing, but then at the same time there should be no links to the programs that run them.
Look, it's simple: emulation is legal, copyright infringement is not. Asking to remove links to emulators is completely silly, and you've been around long enough to know better than to argue a causation on this point.

I was actually being sarcastic, but Belmonts anger pointed at me shows I probably have somewhat of a point.

You are right about emulators, but in a way I still don't think talk about ROMS like Marvel vs Capcom or games that need CHDs should be talked about. It isn't like everybody here has KI roms that they got legally. Topics about development are cool, but is talking about Copyright Infringed ROMS okay? I think that is a legit question.

Sorry if I bent anyone out of joint.

MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by TheBoomCamel:
You are right about emulators, but in a way I still don't think talk about ROMS like Marvel vs Capcom or games that need CHDs should be talked about. It isn't like everybody here has KI roms that they got legally. Topics about development are cool, but is talking about Copyright Infringed ROMS okay? I think that is a legit question.
There are two distinct issues here to my eye. The first is aiding people break the law - namely hunting down ROMs and the like for things they clearly don't own. I don't want to be a party to that. However, if you come on here asking for help getting game X to work, I also don't feel like it's my responsibility to verify that your acquisition is legit or not.

It's certainly not a foregone conclusion that everyone here is using illegal ROMs. StarROMs has many Atari games for sale, and a number of actual cabinet owners are MAME and MacMAME users -- and some of MAME's biggest fans. But neither am I stupid or blind - I'm pretty sure that many are using less-than-legitimate ROMs. If you break the law, that's your problem; you'd be foolish to come on here and ask for help doing that yet many people do. There are enough legit users and ROM owners that I also don't want to waste my time policing who's who as part of MacMAME support - that's between the end-users and the copyright holders as far as I'm concerned.

People like to say that there are grey areas to emulation. I think that's BS - it's pretty black and white from where I see it. If you are thinking about using ROMs with MacMAME, I feel most comfortable if you as the end-user know the legal ramifications, and I'm very appreciative that the other moderators and Richard feel that way as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Oliver:
There are enough legit users and ROM owners that I also don't want to waste my time policing who's who as part of MacMAME support - that's between the end-users and the copyright holders as far as I'm concerned.
How many legit users is enough? One? A hundred? That quote comes off as you saying you know a ton of people use the program you code to do illegal things, but that isn't your problem. You admit that you are not blind to the fact that many(most) people use programs like MacMAME and other emulators to do illegal things. I think that is just a tad hypocritical that a man who makes his living making games that we all here think should never be pirated, contribute to the pirating community by coding a program that is used mostly to do illegal things.

Don't get me wrong. I see the value of a program like MAME. Maybe I am just being a devils advocate, but I think these are some legit questions. I also really think there should be a temporary ban on this board from talking about games that have 95% chance of being pirated. At least until it can really be discussed. It can't be that hard to go out there and find out what ROMS are legally for sale. You say there is no gray area in emulation, but then you say the thing I quoted you as saying. You say that even though someone probably got to the table in an inappropriate fashion you will still help them because it's not for you to say how they got there. That is pretty gray to me. Ask for the ban on the talk of these ROMS or admit you support piracy, even if you don't do it directly.

Hell, I maybe way off base here. It is just the facade of "we love these programs that play pirated games, but hate pirated games" that I guess bugs me the most. At least MAMEBase and even Nathan had the nads to admit what most people use this for. Then you have guys like Richard "I ported Boycott Advance right during the GBA's most popular time." Bannister getting all high and mighty about ROMS. I just wish people would be honest about it.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (mixmaster), 27 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,284
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com