Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by TheBoomCamel:
I was just curious about the legalities of some things. I was also curious as to how devs felt about writing a program they know most use in an unscrupulous manner.
I've been giving this a little more thought, and I can give another example that may shed some light on my line of thinking. As you guys may know, my day job is Mac game programming.

Now I'm not stupid - I know that many, many people are playing pirated copies of the games I've worked on. I'm sure that a lot of those people have, over time, asked for support. In most cases I can't make a distinction between legitimate owners and people who have downloaded pirated versions. Now the percentage of people who use MAME ROMs illegally is likely higher than those who run pirated Mac games, but I don't know for sure and I can't say with accuracy - I can only go with my gut feeling. Either way, in the absence of proof of crime, my best recourse is to assume innocent.

MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
How many games did you contribute to the Dumping Project anyway?
FYI, you're asking a question that's difficult and awkward to answer. The Dumping Project takes money, puts it in a pool and draws funds from that pool to purchase PCBs. In that regard, it's typically difficult to take credit for anything but a dollar amount, although some people contribute for a specific board purchase or donate boards and the like.

Thank all you guys for the input. It started off rocky, but it turned into a good discussion. I also agree with everything said here. It is nice to know that the thought of how these emulators will be used does fit into the process of making them.

Like Brad said, there isn't much he can do to control anybody else. I completely agree.

Thanks again.

I never meant the question about the Dumping Project to come off in a negative way. I was honestly curious. It is cool to know the history of MAME.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
The Project's worked a lot of ways. Among other things, I've:

* bought boards and dumped them myself
* bought boards and sent them to Guru for dumping and return (and repair in some cases)
* bought boards and sent them to Guru for dumping and resale (the proceeds were used to buy more PCBs)
* sent Randy/Guru money for boards that were shipped to Guru from Japan and/or Hong Kong, dumped, then sent to me
* tracked down and bought various pieces of esoteric dumping equipment worth thousands of dollars then disguised it as old/broken and snuck it past customs (the VAT on that stuff would've bankrupted Guru if it was caught, but it wasn't)
* been an intermediary for deals where the seller only would ship to the US and/or take US credit cards

That's just some of the, err, excitement of MAMEami Vice.

R
R
Quote:
Then you have guys like Richard "I ported Boycott Advance right during the GBA's most popular time."
I wish I'd never done that, and I've said as much in several interviews over the last while. There's a reason why BA hasn't had any compatibility updates in a long time.

I do not see why we're arguing this. If you want to open a board where ROM links are acceptable, then go for it. On this one, however, they're not.

R
R
Quote:
That way 3 years from now we can know what was going on in the mind of Richard Bannister when he created Emulator Enhancer.
I can tell you that now. I have a mortgage to pay.

R
R
Quote:
I am just asking if that one was to write a program that in the back of their mind knew that a majority of people are going use in an illegal manner do they ever think of not doing it?
Beer can be drunk by people under the legal age. Is this the responsibility of the brewery?

Quote:
I understand that piracy is piracy. I also never thought that MAME running the games made MAME itself illegal. I just said that it contributes to the piracy community.
From where I stand, the thing that contributes to the piracy community is (mostly due to) the fact that owning supported ROMs legally is an extremely difficult task. You can bet that if there was a place like an iGames Roms Store where you could easily, cheaply and legally buy all and any MAME's supported games for $0,99 each, this entire discussion would not have begun, don't you think ?

Related to the MAME community, such a place would certainly be a hit. Downloading and copying music illegally was possible years before the iTunes Music Store was born. Still, they manage to legally sell almost a billion songs since.
Not to forget that the iTunes application runs, with no difference at all, legal or illegal music. Does it contributes to the piracy community for that matter ? Does any major music company have tried to sue Apple for that ? Same for MAME I guess.

My 2 cents.

Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
The title of this thread looks like it's advertising a ROM site ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:
Beer can be drunk by people under the legal age. Is this the responsibility of the brewery?
No, it isn't. I think we all agree on that. I just wondered if that goes through the mind an emulator programmer while they are making/porting these programs while knowing the huge amount of people that will use it illegally. By stating your regret of making the Gameboy Advance emulator, and Brad giving insight to his thought processes it is easy to see that it does. I think you very fairly go on to make these programs because it is truly not your responsibility what others do with them.

All I was doing was playing devils advocate for a while, and while it probably went a little far, I got to learn some things I didn't know before.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 23 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,284
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com