Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
This is definitely an idea whose time has come, I agree with JustinT this is the best news since the OpenGL plugin was released!

With MacMAME split into a separate engine and a front end, it would become easier for others to concentrate on writing a new shareware or freeware front-end or port one from elsewhere without having to recompile the whole of MAME itself (and possibly break the engine in the process). Windows and Unix/Linux have multiple front-ends available to them; and MacMAME's interface is certainly showing its age.

There are endless exciting ideas for new front-ends, I'm sure others will have suggestions too:
  • as a screen-saver, randomly showing off attract modes or even game replays ("Press spacebar to play this game now!")
  • ROM manager utilities built-into front-end or as some kind of plugins
  • link to web sites like http://www.mame.dk/ gameinfo/$ROMNAME
  • download screen snapshots & MNG previews for favourite games
  • ability to use category files from Windows or Unix MAME front ends without conversion
  • last but not least, a zoom-window button in the front end wink

(BTW, anyone feel free to use the above ideas as you like.)

BEWARE: I LIVE! I HUNGER.
M
M
I don't mind if you charge for this great application. I'm willing to fork out the bucks for the cause. smile

With everyone in agreement (including me), I can hear Brad screaming "why didn't I do this sooner?!?!?!" eek laugh

MacMAME Author
OP Offline
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by macpac3dfx:
I don't mind if you charge for this great application. I'm willing to fork out the bucks for the cause. smile
Just to make it clear, I can't (and of course won't) charge for MacMAME itself. If you pay me money, it'll be to register a shareware front-end.

I'd be lying if I said that a high level of registrations for the front-end would not positively impact the time I spent on MacMAME itself, but you would not be paying for support (and should not therefore expect support) for anythng but the front-end.

I have to admit that so far I'm pleasantly surprised at the reaction to this announcement, but I guess most of the regulars here already love the app enough that this isn't a big deal. Perhaps as this news trickles out the general public, we'll see some more "varied" feedback. smile

WHAT!? You're gonna charge money for the hours and hours you spend on MacMAME?! wink

I think it's a great idea! smile

Even though I don't play MacMAME much anymore, I figure I owe you way more than 10 bucks for all of the good times I've had with it over the last 5 or so years.

Thanks for all you've done. I'm excited about the OS X optimizations and can't wait for the next release.

Great idea, Brad. This could be beneficial to those with Mac-Cab's and need a front end that is rotated 90'

It would be nice to have a 'sample' front end, which people can use as a template...

Will there be support for Quicktime 'mov's in the screenshot folder?
(ie. attract modes) cool

R.I.P. OS-9

..I'd like to see a retro looking front end, perhaps a tron-like interface that uses samples from the early games as you click your way around. (especially Williams sound f/x) :what:
and maybe have the Q*Bert sound for exiting the game.

MacPro - Dual Dual Core 2.66ghz Radeon X1900
That's one hell of an idea.
I've some questions though. You do understand that charging for a piece of software leads directly to huge mass of daily complaining mails in your box. You don't expect people to understand that they have paid for a front-end only and can't complain about the MAME core's bugs / crashes / speed hits / whatever / ..., do you ?
I hope you've at least consider this matter. Be paid for this should only means more fun and encouragement for you (and us) to work on it at your spare times, no harassment.
Every new MAME release will eventually lead to even more "MacMAME : when ?".
Knowing you (virtualy) for years, you were close to give it up because of a few assholes driving you mad. Those few could become many, the same guys that will enter a fake registration code...
Sorry to ruin your day...

May I have serial number one to register ? check's ready ;-)
Marc.

One more to clarify (I'm not english native remember ?) :bemused:
I'm not sure to understand what will happen to the current front-end...
Are you going to extract it from the MacMAME core as an outside app ? So, even if you stop updating it, it'll still work with future release of the MacMAME core ?
This front-end for free, no longer updated (not by you but someone else ?) but still supported and the future one as a shareware ?
Or is it just dead as we know it ?

R
R
I strongly support the idea, and will be one of the first customers.

The only caution I would give you is issues w.r.t. the license of MAME. How much of the front end is actually your code? I don't remember where it originally came from but I have to assume there are fair chunks of contribution from others in that section, and they may not be enthused about removing their code from the official distribution in favour of a much simpler front end. i could be wrong of course smile

One other thought -- where does that leave the MESS front end?

Regards,
Richard

MacMAME Author
OP Offline
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:
The only caution I would give you is issues w.r.t. the license of MAME. How much of the front end is actually your code? I don't remember where it originally came from but I have to assume there are fair chunks of contribution from others in that section, and they may not be enthused about removing their code from the official distribution in favour of a much simpler front end. i could be wrong of course smile

One other thought -- where does that leave the MESS front end?
I've already mentioned this to those people whose code would be affected, which mainly amounts to Aaron and John. The shareware front-end is pretty much going to be a rewrite from the ground-up, and as such we've still got a while before it'll see the light of day. As for people being upset that their donated code is tossed out, well, I can't help that. A lot of it is old and creaky now, and really doesn't mesh well with the new OSX APIs.

As for MESS, Raphael is welcome to continue building it with the current front-end code and enhance it as he sees fit or take a different approach entirely. The code is already out there and licensed under the MAME license so it can't be "un-licensed".

Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 23 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,284
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com