Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:
How much of the front end is actually your code? I don't remember where it originally came from but I have to assume there are fair chunks of contribution from others in that section, and they may not be enthused about removing their code from the official distribution in favour of a much simpler front end. i could be wrong of course smile
Cant' see the issue here. Brad's going to rewrite another front-end entirely from scratch.
The source code for the old one will still be available for anyone to pick it up and start updating it at anytime.
Am I missing the point ?

MacMAME Author
OP Offline
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Mame:
Are you going to extract it from the MacMAME core as an outside app ? So, even if you stop updating it, it'll still work with future release of the MacMAME core ?
That is the intention. Obviously if new features are added to the MacMAME core (like the artwork stuff), an existing front-end would likely still work but would need an update to take advantage of those new settings. Similarly, if the ROM audit or ROM listing output of MacMAME ever changes, a front-end would need to be modified to understand the new info, like the recent addition of SHA1 and MD5 checksums for example.

Quote:
This front-end for free, no longer updated (not by you but someone else ?) but still supported and the future one as a shareware ?
Or is it just dead as we know it ?
It'll die (as far as I am concerned) the moment I release the shareware one. In its place, MacMAME will instead have a crude file-picker for when you run it without a front-end. You'll be able to change options from within MacMAME via the MacMAME menu bar. For anything fancy, you'll have to use a separate app. One upside to this is that I can beef up the ROM auditing and maintenance stuff over what exists in MacMAME now, since it'll live in a separate app.

It's possible that someone could take the existing front-end stuff and pick up maintenance where I leave off. That would be perfectly legit, although since it falls under the MAME source license, it would have to remain open-source. That's one reason why I've been reluctant to add too many improvements to the front-end recently. I want to save some cool features for my reimplementation without "giving them away" first. smile

MacMAME Author
OP Offline
MacMAME Author
Quote:
You do understand that charging for a piece of software leads directly to huge mass of daily complaining mails in your box. You don't expect people to understand that they have paid for a front-end only and can't complain about the MAME core's bugs / crashes / speed hits / whatever / ..., do you ?
I'm prepared for the confusion and hate-mail, if that's what you mean. smile I'm sure I'll get plenty of angry rants about how I'm a child-molester who should be burned alive for daring to charge for something that used to be free and other various crimes against humanity. For a lot of people emulation == free games. For money to enter into that equation is tantamount to threatening someone's family pet.

There's no way I can respond to complaints like that, so the best I can do is ignore them and move on. I might save the most vitriolic flames for a special web page. smile

Quote:
Knowing you (virtualy) for years, you were close to give it up because of a few assholes driving you mad. Those few could become many, the same guys that will enter a fake registration code...
I don't know that I was ever ready to give up, it's mainly been an issue of time and desire. If you work on something for 6 years with updates every month, eventually you're going to start wearing down. Money has a way of rekindling interest. smile We'll see how it works out.

G
G
Sign me up.. :banana: ( we need that emoticon smile )

Thx Brad :cheers:

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Oliver:
I'm prepared for the confusion and hate-mail, if that's what you mean. smile I'm sure I'll get plenty of angry rants about how I'm a child-molester who should be burned alive for daring to charge for something that used to be free and other various crimes against humanity.
That's exactly what I meant and I'm pretty sure that will happen. Glad to know you've your helmet on. smile

Would you still care for translation ?

R
R
Quote:
Cant' see the issue here. Brad's going to rewrite another front-end entirely from scratch.
The source code for the old one will still be available for anyone to pick it up and start updating it at anytime.
Am I missing the point ?
No, I think I missed it -- I was under the impression that the new front end would be an enhancement of what was already there.

Regards,
Richard

Quote:
That's one reason why I've been reluctant to add too many improvements to the front-end recently.
Something like extracting the contextuals menu's strings from the source ? wink (just kidding)
Can we expect something like resizable screenshots window ?
Support for title's screenshots ?
Can we even dream about game's demo running in the front-end ? (or tera-bytes of .mov files)

R
R
Quote:
There's no way I can respond to complaints like that, so the best I can do is ignore them and move on. I might save the most vitriolic flames for a special web page. smile
Been there, done that!

-R

- Will the unregistered shareware be fully fonctionnal or limited to the basis ?

- How often do you think, major improvements will need to be charged ?
Every year ?

I'm in. Makes perfect sense.

-Mahuti

-------------------------------
localarcade.com
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (MrBogi, starlord), 23 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,284
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com