Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 21 1 2 19 20 21
S
S
I have no idea if Brad's still keeping tabs on this thread (I hear he's working on getting the Mac version of KOTOR out the door), but I don't think he should limit himself to pre-Jaguar versions of Mac OS X.

In fact, I think he should embrace the upcoming Tiger. Sure, that would mean we wouldn't be able to use the new MacMAME until Tiger shipped, and that a few people might be left behind, but let's look at the advantages.

- Tiger includes the extensible Spotlight search technology, which seems to be perfect for the ROM organization people are looking for. Why go building your own search engine when you can use existing code in the SDK, which is cleanly architected and already blazing fast?

- Tiger also includes Automator, which seems up to the task of handling the sort of scripting capabilities that people want out of a new MacMAME, without the need for us to actually write scripts.

- The hardcore users of MacMAME already know where to get the goods if they have an extensive ROM collection. What makes you think they can't freely find Apple's latest OS once it hits the streets. Also, unlike Windows, the Mac community in general tends to stay on the cutting edge of software design (that's why we use the platform). It would be a shame to see Apple's latest technology limited to the apps built-in to the OS. You said you wanted to streamline MacMAME to take full advantage of the exclusive tech that OS X has to offer. Here's your chance.

That said, I want to thank you, Brad, for the work you've already poured into MacMAME, and I'll be first in line to buy the updated Cocoa powerhouse.

Quote:

- Tiger includes the extensible Spotlight search technology, which seems to be perfect for the ROM organization people are looking for. Why go building your own search engine when you can use existing code in the SDK, which is cleanly architected and already blazing fast?
I agree. The Spotlight technology would definitively be a killer feature for MacMame. Having all the roms organized with Metatada would be great ! (just imagine : by typing SNK and 1996 you would get for example Metal Slug)

Also a built-in search-engine just like in iTunes would be a must.

R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by ssfreitas:
The hardcore users of MacMAME already know where to get the goods if they have an extensive ROM collection. What makes you think they can't freely find Apple's latest OS once it hits the streets.
Yes - it's easy to buy in the shops. I hope you're not suggesting alternatives?
-R

How about making use of the Core Image feature of 10.4 Tiger? Wouldn't we get better results than OpenGL?

A
A
Spotlight: the benefit of this technology would be to allow you to search for roms using metadata FROM THE FINDER. I.e. you'd search for 'Namco' and related roms show up in that Spotlight window. You DO NOT NEED SPOTLIGHT to do this inside of MAME, since the database of drivers has all that info already! What we really want is the GUI reworked to allow viewing the roms in a table like iTunes where you can view metadata in columns and sort/search on them.

Core Image: this relies on OpenGL and/or your CPU, so no, you wouldn't get any better results. If by better you mean faster. Yes, you could run gaussian blur over the screen on the GPU, but do you want that while playing MAME? I'd rather have the existing AdvanceMAME features like eagle/sai/hqx2 added to the regular Mac port.

S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:
Quote:
[b]The hardcore users of MacMAME already know where to get the goods if they have an extensive ROM collection. What makes you think they can't freely find Apple's latest OS once it hits the streets.
-R [/b]
For me, personally, no. I have purchased every update of the Mac OS since I started using the platform at OS 9, and will pony up the cash when Tiger hits in 2005.

I just think it's ironic that there's concern about some users not being able to afford the most recent OS, when the product itself requires some form of piracy to even function.

E
E
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Bannister:
[b]
Quote:
[b]The hardcore users of MacMAME already know where to get the goods if they have an extensive ROM collection. What makes you think they can't freely find Apple's latest OS once it hits the streets.
-R [/b]
For me, personally, no. I have purchased every update of the Mac OS since I started using the platform at OS 9, and will pony up the cash when Tiger hits in 2005.

I just think it's ironic that there's concern about some users not being able to afford the most recent OS, when the product itself requires some form of piracy to even function. [/b]
Not neccessarily. If you buy all of your ROMs off starroms.com, you can run MacMAME completely legally. Plus there are some free games that have been released.

Macscene covers emulation of everything on Mac OS X.
Since Coin is the anagram of Icon, lets choose that one.
(I realised that after several months of intensive thinking)

Merry *XMas* (even Santa Klaus has dropped Classic support ...)
C
C
I was in two minds about MacMAME's dropping of support for OS 9, and that was *after* I'd already fully upgraded to X. However, dropping support for anything but the latest OS would be a very strange move. Sure, Apple users tend to upgrade more than Windows users, but not quite to the degree that the majority of MacMAME users will be working with Tiger soon after shipping. I think a realistic OS X target would be 10.210.3 at a stretch.

Still, ultimately it's up to Brad anyway.

Page 21 of 21 1 2 19 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (MrBogi, starlord, 1 invisible), 24 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,284
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com