Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mrjeff Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi!

I just aquired a mac, and am tempted to start trying to poke at macMAME a little (no promises mind you!) The only thing that is confusing me a little is it looks like there are at least two, if not more, development platforms being used.. out of interest, is there some reason everyone isn't just using the same one?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrjeff:
Hi!

I just aquired a mac, and am tempted to start trying to poke at macMAME a little (no promises mind you!) The only thing that is confusing me a little is it looks like there are at least two, if not more, development platforms being used.. out of interest, is there some reason everyone isn't just using the same one?
Wow, what a question!
Unless I misunderstand the question, I believe the reason would be obvious... Some people use PC's, Some use Macs. Some even have Amigas and so on. Some have only X-Box consoles. Some PC users use Unix, some use Windows. That's just the way of the world. In the final analysis, everyone wants to use M.A.M.E. but not everyone has/uses the platform it was originally developed for which is the PC. For this reason, M.A.M.E. was developed for multiple platforms.

It's the same reason you can't take a Playstation 2 DVD and use it in an X-Box machine. And MAME is too complex for it to be used cross-platform (anyone from the MAMEDev team, feel free to jump in and correct me if I have the terminology wrong).

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Because Xcode comes for free with OSX and it's the same compiler that the MAMEdev core team uses (GCC), so there's a certain amount of extra compatibility there. CodeWarrior arguably generates somewhat better/faster code but it also costs big bucks.

OK, my bad... after reading R. Belmont's post, I got the general idea of the original question [Marchalis retreats to his boundary].

A
A
Traditionally MacMAME was developed with CodeWarrior, and a number of optimized assembly CPU cores were written under that IDE.

I got it building under Xcode in OS X, but the optimized cores don't compile under gcc, so the resulting binary is slower for some games.

The official builds are still done with CodeWarrior, but the Xcode project tends to be updated more often wink Xcode is also free so it is a bit easier for people to jump in and start coding, although there hasn't been nearly enough of this happening to be worth making Xcode the official IDE.

Perfect summary Arekkusu, and thanks for your hard work in the Xcode build.

Wow, until now I didn't even realize I already had Xcode on my Mac.

Guess I've got my plans for today figured out.

Alright, clearly I was overestimating my ability to pick this up.

It's kinda fun to poke around in this, though. I'll let you know if I manage to change anything beyond "warning.nib"

B
B
Hmm, I suppose you can change the way MacMAME displays the names of those games. You can change "King of Fighters 1999" to "Yet another fighting game from SNK".

M
mrjeff Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I hope to look at this myself, but for someone whose already expert at compiling macMAME, have you tried passing the flag "-fasm-blocks", which might make the ASM cores compile in Xcode? (or might not... sorry if this was obvious / already tried)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (John IV, R. Belmont, Vas Crabb, Duke, AJR), 59 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,834
Posts116,214
Members4,921
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020