Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16546 05/07/05 09:39 PM
OP Offline
It's been a while since I've added any new ROM boards to my secret underground arcade ROM board collection, and I was looking for some advice on worthy games that have been added to MAME in the last year or so. Any games stand out that I need to get?

B
B
Well for starters, is there any genres you're partial to?

S
S
Dharma Doujou has become one of my favorites.

Its been playable in MAME for a while but lacked sound until quite recently.

Simply revisit your Treasured Donkey Kong and Dk Jnr cabs and ignore any other so called classics that may try to get in the way(!)

Dharma Doujou... just spent 30 minutes with that one... thats easy to learn but very tricky to figure out a strategy for! I only made level 3 so far, but i just know i'm still missing a trick to it ;-) Any hints??

Anyone know why this and many other games have a mix of english AND the asian fonts/language for different parts of the game? like the copyright and some of the game instructions are in english, but other parts like the names in high scores and other odd items in the game you can't read?? Seems like it should be all one or all the other to me

Magneto phone!? This is not a magneto phone!!
OP Offline
Cool. I like 'em all honestly (except Majong... shudder). But I've been a bit out of the loop as far as recently added games, and since this MacMAME upgrade, I'm quite interested about what I might be missing. Any ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
English is cheaper in RAM, ROM, VRAM, etc. 26 characters vs. hundreds. You'll find that the more powerful the hardware the less random English usually.

S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian H:
Dharma Doujou... just spent 30 minutes with that one... thats easy to learn but very tricky to figure out a strategy for! I only made level 3 so far, but i just know i'm still missing a trick to it ;-) Any hints??
If you have no qualms about bearing the stigma of being cheater... wink Pause the game to give yourself a chance to look over the pattern without time pressure.

The most obvious line at the start of a screen is often a trap. After taking the bait the pattern goes out of sequence making it more difficult to make new lines. On the more difficult levels you have to plan your sequence of moves way ahead, hence the usefulness of pausing to learn a stage.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 51 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,880
Posts116,792
Members4,961
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com