Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MAME Teaser Widget Lives Again! #17437 06/01/04 03:53 PM
Promo The Robot Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all. Remember like over a year ago when I was playing around creating a Konfabulator widget that was intended to be sort of a mini-MacMAME-slideshow? I eventually hit some pretty serious problems with it that I just didn't have the gumption to solve. In the end, the project lost momentum and went into Justin's Pile Of Good Ideas Never Finished.

Recently, though, I've been playing with it again. I've reworked it pretty fundamentally, and I think I'm ready to unleash it at least on some unsuspecting victims, er, testers. If anybody is interested in helping me test it I'd welcome the assistance.

Some of the new features of the widget since last year (these specifically address the major problems I had before):
  • Successfully handles subfolders in the ROM/Screenshot/Marquee directories. The recursion should be OK way down to infinity, far as I can tell.
  • Successfully handles zipped screenshot and marquee files. All the images still have to be PNGs, but it's OK if they're inside zip files.
  • No longer tries to download images off the internet. That was more trouble than it was worth.
  • All source folders (ROM/Screenshot/Marquee) can now be located anywhere, independently.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in helping me test, drop me an e-mail. Here's a screenshot to whet your appetite....

There's more information here , as well.

Thanks again!
PtR

EDIT: minor stuff.

Re: MAME Teaser Widget Lives Again! #17438 06/01/04 05:48 PM
G
gsxrboy Offline
G
Thats awesome ! smile Just wait till my pbook turns up so I can get my collection on one hdd and I will give that a go !

Re: MAME Teaser Widget Lives Again! #17439 06/01/04 08:20 PM
patmcfar8 Offline
Sweet. As soon as I get some time I'll download Konfabulator again and give it a run. Great idea BTW. Next step should be to actually play MacMAME in the widget... HAA, HA, Ha, haa... ha. wink

BTW, nice shots of AK... I definitely miss the summers.

Re: MAME Teaser Widget Lives Again! #17440 06/02/04 06:54 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by gsxrboy:
Thats awesome ! smile Just wait till my pbook turns up so I can get my collection on one hdd and I will give that a go !
Actually, if you can at least get all the partitions containing your collection mounted at the same time, I think it would work for you even now.

You could do something like this:
Code:
MAME Folder/
    ROMs/
        nibbler.zip
        pacman.zip
        ROMs alias (alias to ROMs folder on another partition)
        robby.zip
        zookeep.zip
That would allow the Widget to follow the alias folder to the other partition and keep rolling merrily along.

You could also do something really wonky and just create a folder of empty dummy text files with the names of the ROMs you want the Widget to think you have. Of course, you'll want to stay away from the "Play!" button if you do that.... :duh:

PtR

Re: MAME Teaser Widget Lives Again! #17441 06/02/04 11:39 AM
eima Offline
awesome. glad to see this back again.

Re: MAME Teaser Widget Lives Again! #17442 06/02/04 03:04 PM
OP Offline
hi eima... yeah, I was meaning to email you and let you know... thought you might be interested. smile

Re: MAME Teaser Widget Lives Again! #17443 06/02/04 04:24 PM
G
gsxrboy Offline
G
Quote:
Originally posted by Promo The Robot:
[QUOTE]Actually, if you can at least get all the partitions containing your collection mounted........
Tiz ok pbook turns up hopefully in the next day or so smile

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 52 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,818
Posts116,109
Members4,917
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020