Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Question - when compiling the MacMAME source code, is there an #ifdef switch to use to tell it to use the C cores instead of the assembly cores? Or do I just have to remove the assembly core files from the build?

MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Kendig:
Question - when compiling the MacMAME source code, is there an #ifdef switch to use to tell it to use the C cores instead of the assembly cores? Or do I just have to remove the assembly core files from the build?
The start of each PPC assembly file contains a switch for that file. Take a look at, e.g., Asgard6502MAME.c.

Thanks! But when I try to compile the latest MAME sources, I get lots of errors with the CPU files. For example, src/cpu/adsp2100/2100ops.c fails with hundreds of parse errors and undeclared identifiers (some of which, like "ADSPCORE", I can't find declared anywhere). Are these CPU files not supposed to be included in the project at all? What determines whether a CPU file should be in the project or not?

Does this have anything to do with the Asgard files? I haven't quite figured those out yet - is Asgard one of the CPUs, or does it mean something else?

MacMAME Author
MacMAME Author
Quote:
Thanks! But when I try to compile the latest MAME sources, I get lots of errors with the CPU files.
I assume this is with XCode?

Quote:
For example, src/cpu/adsp2100/2100ops.c fails with hundreds of parse errors and undeclared identifiers (some of which, like "ADSPCORE", I can't find declared anywhere). Are these CPU files not supposed to be included in the project at all?

If you're getting hundreds of errors, odds are that the first few errors are causing a cascading effect on the rest of the file.

That particular CPU core should be included, so if I were to guess, I'd say that one of the first errors you are seeing has to do with "ppc". It's a reserved word in OSX's gcc compiler, so you have to do some magic to get those files to work. I use a file called "mach_fixup.h" in the CodeWarrior build and include it globally for each file. I assume the XCode project has something similar going for it. if not, I'd just do a search/replace in that CPU core, changing ppc to _ppc.

Quote:
What determines whether a CPU file should be in the project or not?
Simple answer - if it's in the makefile for the Win32 build. Amost-as-simple answer - if a MAME driver references it. The "easy" way to check for the latter is to add all the new driver files for a MAME build, compile and then see what linker errors you get at the end. This assumes you've got lots time to kill and are really lazy.

I usually don't have lots of time, so I compare "mame.mak" with MacMAME.h and add/change any CPU cores and sound cores as appropriate for each new build.

A
OP Offline
A
Quote:
But when I try to compile the latest MAME sources
Which source would that be, then?

S
smf Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Oliver:
That particular CPU core should be included, so if I were to guess, I'd say that one of the first errors you are seeing has to do with "ppc". It's a reserved word in OSX's gcc compiler, so you have to do some magic to get those files to work.
Rename it to something like ppcstate & submit a diff. There was a similar issue with mips to compile on SGI machines.

smf

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
BTW, if someone has a fairly recent (0.84u3 I think is sufficient) MAME building on the Mac, please try this change which I think will make the System 12 games run again:

in src/drivers/namcos12.c, line 85 or so (function sharedram_sub_w), change

COMBINE_DATA( &shared16[ offset ] ); to COMBINE_DATA( &shared16[ offset^1 ] );

Then a few lines down in sharedram_sub_r, change

return shared16[ offset ]; to
return shared16[ offset^1 ];

Let me know if it works and I'll submit a proper version for mainline MAME.

-RB

I have a working build of xmame 0.86 for OS X using X11 as the display (yeah, sounds complicated, but it runs rather well, if not fast).

I made sure to first try some Namco12 games without your modifications. I get the following error as soon as the game tries to start:

H8/3002: Unknown opcode (PC=142)

After having made both modifications, I still get the same error.

Hope this helps.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Ow. That's more serious then. Thanks for the message though.

You're welcome.

I'm so glad I could help in a little, tiny, minuscule way to my favourite program (for 8 years now). laugh

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bletch), 26 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,284
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com