Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
OP Offline
A
I tried in 0.84u3, no difference. Same immediate quit in Tekken3. "H8/3002: Unknown opcode (PC=142)" is in Console.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah. My patch had nothing to do with that error message - I was under the impression that the games started up and just didn't do anything on the Mac, which my posted fix would correct. This is a much more fundamental (e.g. MAME core) problem than that. You could try changing the ROM_LOAD16_WORD_SWAP for the H8 program (the .11s ROM for most S12 sets - usually labeled as "sound prg" in the source) to just ROM_LOAD and seeing if that corrects the "Unknown opcode" error.

(Note: in 0.86, if you do correct that, the games will crash anyway. That happens on the PC also. 0.84u3 oughta be fine though).

A
OP Offline
A
It's the Sony ZN games that start up and just don't do anything.

The Namco 12 games worked in 0.84, but are broken in later builds. Namco 11 games still work.

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
Ok. With an assist from Aaron Giles, I have a real fix. Put namcos12.c back to original form, and open up src/cpu/h83002/h83002.c instead. In h8_execute line 432, change

opcode = cpu_readop32(h8.pc); to
opcode = cpu_readop16(h8.pc);

That should fix the problem.

A
OP Offline
A
Yes, that fixes the immediate quit. Now Tekken 3 starts up in 0.84u3, and says 'Good Morning', so the sound is working too.

But, then it sits at the JAMMA initialization screen for a minute... five minutes... ten minutes... ??? How long is this supposed to take? (Running at 65% of realtime on my laptop, fskp0...)

Same thing with Mr. Driller.

I'm trying to use Xcode 1.5 to compile the MAME 0.86 source with the overrides from the earlier version of MacMAME. I know it won't compile cleanly, but I'm puzzled by the sheer number of errors it's giving me; for example, here are the first few errors I get when I try to compile 2100ops.c:

Code:
src/cpu/adsp2100/2100ops.c:60: error: parse error before "constants"
src/cpu/adsp2100/2100ops.c:66: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
src/cpu/adsp2100/2100ops.c: In function `set_mstat':
src/cpu/adsp2100/2100ops.c:86: error: `adsp2100' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/cpu/adsp2100/2100ops.c:88: error: `ADSPCORE' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/cpu/adsp2100/2100ops.c:88: error: parse error before "temp"
src/cpu/adsp2100/2100ops.c:90: error: `temp' undeclared (first use in this function)
The "parse error before 'constants'" is because "INT32" isn't defined anywhere. The other errors are also generated by things which aren't defined anyplace. This particular C code file has no #includes; it itself is #included from adsp2100.c, which defines the things it uses. I've never seen any other project where one .c file #includes another .c file; I figure that 2100ops.c itself isn't meant to be compiled.

The MAME 0.86 source distribution has no Makefile, per se: it has a "mame.mak", which references only object files (no C files), and a "rules.mak", which appears to reference every available C file (including 2100ops.c). So I haven't yet figured out how this is supposed to be able to compile on Windows, much less Mac.

I apologize for my utter cluelessness here. I'm trying to make sense of this so that I can reach a point where I can make a positive contribution, and until I get there I don't want to slow down anyone else who knows what he's doing.

B
B
Well, since we're talking about MacMAME 84 xcode. I'll like to mention that Tempest looks real bad in software mode but it's fine in GL mode. In software mode, the game just looks like a bunch of dots.

Anyway, I'll like to say it's great having GL mode back in MacMAME.

A
OP Offline
A
Brian, are you starting from my 0.84 and leveraging or from scratch? The Xcode .pch includes mach_fixup.h to undef the symbols Brad mentioned.

Either way, you're going to have a bunch of Mac OSD code to rewrite to get the input systems to work with the 0.86 code.

A
OP Offline
A
The software renderer's rotation doesn't work with vector games' dirty updates. Just another problem with rotation.

I'm starting from scratch, not using your 0.84, because I want to understand exactly how this is put together. I don't understand what went into making the five Xcode project files you're using, and I want to have a better comprehension of exactly what files are going into the project and where. That's why I'm doing this the "hard way" - my goal isn't to just update your project, but to teach myself exactly how the MAME source relates to the MacMAME overrides.

I know work will be needed to get the new stuff in MAME 0.86 working nicely with Xcode and the older MacMAME source files - so I'm expecting that when I try to compile everything all together I should get a bunch of errors relating to the input systems and the assembly-language cores and other things - but I don't think I should be seeing dozens of CPU (and other core) files fail to compile due to undeclared variables, and so I'm thinking I'm doing something really wrong.

(I haven't even *gotten* to any problems with 'ppc' being a reserved word yet!)

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 23 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,284
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com