Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
toffs are careless!!

Quote:
Originally posted by AaronGiles:
They made a mistake only putting one memory slot in, as 1GB DIMMs are hella expensive.
The best way to go is to get the 256 model, and pick up a 1 GB DIMM for it here. ($199 at last check.)

You end up eating the cost of the 256, but it's less than half the cost of doing it Apple's way.

Of course, how easy it actually is (or isn't) to replace the RAM in there is another matter.

AtariAge Blog
OP Offline
Aaron~

I guess I see your points... I'm just dumbfounded that you've never even turned it on. Guess you never developed anything for it, eh? wink At least you can sell it on eBay someday. wink

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but this has peaked my curiosity a bit. Here's a few fun Pippin links if anyone cares. It was a pretty impressive system for its time, but like many Apple products, just a bit too expensive.

http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/pippin.htm
http://www.macgeek.org/museum/pippin/faq.html
http://www.microsoft.com/mind/1096/FLUX1096.asp
http://assembler.roarvgm.com/Apple_Banda...pin_page_2.html

And you're right about the games. Hard to find and expensive to import from Japan. And, yes, as I type this I realize that most of you already know all this. wink Sorry.

G
G
Quote:
The lack of digital audio out does hurt though - if it had that it could just plain replace my occasionally ill-tempered Bravo D1.
it would be cool if it was built in, but supposedly the airport express outputs digital 5.1 and can auto detect if a digital coaxal is hooked up, of couse that another 125$ for the airport express and the 40$ for the audio cable pack, on top of the cost of the macmini, but if your goin the wireless route i guess you could kill multiple birds with one stone....

i think the mini is cool as heck and when its time to upgrade or anyone in my family to upgrade i will aim them towards this thing, most of them have monitors etc already and this is definatly their price point.

what kind of pvr like options do we have on the mac though?

are their other remotes beside the keyspan, and possibly the salling clicker if you have the right phone?

and as far as people wondering about output resolutions, it says it can do HD, so the svid/composite debate will be moot in a few years.

i like to see some comparisons to this thing and some HTPCs price wise and usage wise (dvd playing/recording, pvr, mp3/music playing, etc)

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I don't need PVR functionality (I have a hi-def DirecTiVo), just playback. So it works there. Apparently ATI makes a USB TV tuner/video in thing that would go well with it for PVR purposes though, and some folks have noted that FireWire 5.1 audio output exists too (although there may be a/v sync issues with that).

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
BTW, I just got a shipping notice from Apple. I'll post something when it shows up and I can't figure out MacMAME ;-)

A
A
Quote:
I don't need PVR functionality (I have a hi-def DirecTiVo)
Those are $900+ (and of course the monthly subscription to DirectTV or Tivo). In San Jose I'm pulling in over a dozen HD channels for free over the air.

I've had a MythTV box running for over a year now and I want to replace it with a Mac/HD solution. MythTV is amazing - no subscription fees, automatic commercial skipping, editing.... Sadly I've been unable to get an HD tuner card to work with it so it's stuck in NTSC-land.

But a Mac Mini + EyeTV 500 (and better software than what ElGato ships) and I can toss my PB/MythTV box out the door.

Or rather make it into a PC/Mame machine....

Quote:
Originally posted by AaronGiles:
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkSabre:
[b] Anyone remember the Apple/Bandai Pippin?
Got one sitting right behind me, even with the floppy attachment that plugs into the bottom (for development work!) Never powered it on. Apple wanted me to put Dark Forces on it, but my employers at the time felt that supporting the Mac was a niche enough market (and a year later, felt that even that was too niche!)

Aaron [/b]
Aaron,

What were your thoughts on the Pippin at the time? Thanks.

A
A
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
BTW, I just got a shipping notice from Apple. I'll post something when it shows up and I can't figure out MacMAME ;-)
Careful, it's got a GUI. Unless Brad has changed things significantly, you won't be able to type "macmame sxyreact" at the command line. wink

A
A
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkSabre:
What were your thoughts on the Pippin at the time? Thanks.
"What were they thinking?" and "Cool, there's a little tiny trackball on the controller!"

Since I never powered it up, it didn't go much beyond that. smile

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Richard Bannister, 1 invisible), 23 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,274
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com