Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Heh. If I'd done something like that it would've been after classic Apple II games - I never owned a Mac before this due to lingering John Sculley ill will wink

Incidentally, the DVI out looks quite nice in 1280x720 on my 50" Samsung DLP. Once I figure out how to get the thing to mount gozer (my NFS server) MacMAME should ensue ;-)

So... anybody get shafted by this morning's news? :rolleyes:

AtariAge Blog
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
I didn't get 1 GB RAM, Bluetooth, or a SuperDrive, so those don't affect me.

Also, here's a review of the Mini by one of the top PC hardware sites. It's generally quite positive, and I'll add that the 1.4 GHz model is also whisper-quiet.

Quote:
Originally posted by MacScoops:
If they did an RGB Scart output then I think it would make a sizable difference. Certainly decent enough for big screen play with MAME...
Maplin has a VGA-SCART adapter, but it seems intended to connect equipment (DVD/Video) up to video projectors or computer LCD displays that have VGA input -- not sure if this would work with the DVI-VGA adapter, but it might be worth a try. At 60 it's not cheap though.

Sean Aaron
Quote:
Originally posted by rwp2084:
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnoud:
[b] At what resolution are you driving the svideo?
The TV defaults to 800 x 600, 60 Hz refresh rate. [/b]
Is this a bog-standard direct display tube or an LCD tv? 800x600 seems pretty good for a standard tube tv. Is it good enough to read email, etc? If so I'll have to re-evaluate this as a potential option to undertake when I'm not saving money for a holiday...

Sean Aaron
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Belmont:
Also, here's a review of the Mini by one of the top PC hardware sites.
That's a good review, indeed. I think they did a good job of decyphering Apple's intent with the mini. I also agree that Apple really shouldn't be shipping anything with less than 512 MB RAM. Maybe someday...

AtariAge Blog
Quote:
Originally posted by seanraaron:
Is this a bog-standard direct display tube or an LCD tv? 800x600 seems pretty good for a standard tube tv. Is it good enough to read email, etc? If so I'll have to re-evaluate this as a potential option to undertake when I'm not saving money for a holiday...
It's just a cheap tube TV I picked up at Best Buy a couple months ago. I know standard TVs don't have that many lines of resolution, but 800 x 600 is what the s-video out defaults to. I haven't tried Mail, since I'm still using my old computer for that. Safari and iTunes work pretty good on the TV, but small type is too hard to read. Near the top of this web page I could not read UBBFriend, but I could make out the rest of the line. To read that much I had to check the "Best For Video" option that appears in the display preferences when connected to a TV. That option brightens and sharpens the screen.

Cool, I feel a lot better about picking up one of these babies.

Someday I hope to have a projector/plasma which will take DVI input, but it looks like S-Video will be okay for playing MAME and the odd bit of NFS config otherwise. Now I just need a little cash windfall!

Sean Aaron
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (robcfg), 20 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,112
Posts119,407
Members5,024
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com